Whats Hosts Do you use?
Just recently purchased a Shocking Host VPS and am very happy with that. I also have a VPS from Immediate VPS (part of LDNI along with Business Transit etc. I believe they're all owned by Theo or something. Not sure.)
I'm looking for a host for a large board. (Well, at least I think it's large: several thousand members.) But, honestly, I don't know what to look for or what I need. Any suggestions? Also, can you give an estimate of what it would cost?
(2012-01-22, 11:11 AM)fylliska Wrote: I'm looking for a host for a large board. (Well, at least I think it's large: several thousand members.) But, honestly, I don't know what to look for or what I need. Any suggestions? Also, can you give an estimate of what it would cost?

Link to your forum? Traffic stats?
I started using MyBBWebHost this month for my forum, and I am loving it very much.
(2012-01-22, 12:55 PM)pdtrx Wrote: Link to your forum? Traffic stats?

We're not set up yet. What we're considering is moving two email lists with 6000+ members over to a forum. Looking at possible costs and options now. Thank you for any help you can give!
6000+ members can be run on any free web hosting company, what will matters is how many will be online at a time, how many database queries you'll be handling at any given time, how many concurrent connections to your website, how much bandwidth you'll be using, how much disk space you'll be using, and how many page views you'll be getting, and how big your pages will be (CSS, JS, images, html, etc...).

If you're just trying to estimate...

If your e-mail lists are active and you have hundreds of e-mails a day then I would be conservative and look at a VPS. If you're talking about 100 e-mails a month then any shared hosting should be able to accommodate you. Find a company that has a good upgrade/downgrade path so you'll be able to scale up or down if your estimates are off (ideally a cloud host would work best but it's more costly than a VPS but you can scale easily and it's cheaper and more reliable than a dedicated server).
-Joe
AFreeCloud - Free Cloud-Based Web Hosting!
At how many daily posts should you be lOoking to upgrade to a VPS?
[Image: 76561198094087316.png]
(2012-01-23, 09:34 AM)Mebes Net Wrote: At how many daily posts should you be lOoking to upgrade to a VPS?

It depends on if you actually need a VPS. If you're running fine on shared hosting, then you don't even need to consider it.
No longer involved in the MyBB project.
This user has been denied support. This user has been denied support.
(2012-01-23, 09:34 AM)Mebes Net Wrote: At how many daily posts should you be lOoking to upgrade to a VPS?
As Nathan said, depends on the load a shared server can bare, sometimes things and reasons are different to move to a VPS other than load like the whole shared server being rooted and exploited to hack one such particular site. In that case, if it happens every now and then, it should be taken to VPS.

Otherwise as long as you can feel the server is running smooth with normal amount of queries, you've nothing to worry.

I use Hostigation.com for most of my VPSs.
[Image: signature.php]