Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lets Combat With Spam - With Default Settings
IMO All you need to do is to install just one plugin "Registration Security Question".: http://mods.mybb.com/view/registration-s...y-question , above settings does reduce the spam if you use them intelligently.
(2012-01-08, 03:57 AM)Solidus Wrote: None of those help me at all. I can't leave my forums and not come back to a load of spam with those settings, I need Spamalyser and Automatic website removal.

I agree that most of those settings won't really stop forum spam problems. I use my own methods/plugins to prevent spam.
(2012-01-07, 07:32 PM)Solidus Wrote: Good settings, but default MyBB settings can't protect against homepage links or links in posts.

I wish there was a default setting to stop users from posting links in posts until they reach X posts. or, at the least, have it on a group basis.

what I'm going to do to help with spam is create a new group that registered users get promoted to once they've hit 10 or 15 posts to help weed out spammers. with the registered users group, I'm going to deny them access to their user cp so they can't add a signature, add a bio filled with spam, add a homepage URL and etc.

This user has been denied support. This user has been denied support.
Nice Thread Yaldaram, should changing Powered by will have any effect ?
(2012-05-09, 12:44 PM)Verilog Wrote: Nice Thread Yaldaram, should changing Powered by will have any effect ?

Yesy - that's how spam bots finds your forums. They search Google, Yahoo, etc for search terms as "Powered By MyBB" and "Powered by vBulletin". They scrape the links, spam the forums, and in some cases sell the links to other spammers to spam those forums again.
No longer involved in the MyBB project.
(2012-01-10, 06:14 AM)Shemo Wrote:
(2012-01-07, 07:32 PM)Solidus Wrote: Good settings, but default MyBB settings can't protect against homepage links or links in posts.

I wish there was a default setting to stop users from posting links in posts until they reach X posts. or, at the least, have it on a group basis.

what I'm going to do to help with spam is create a new group that registered users get promoted to once they've hit 10 or 15 posts to help weed out spammers. with the registered users group, I'm going to deny them access to their user cp so they can't add a signature, add a bio filled with spam, add a homepage URL and etc.

Yaldaram has made such a plugin. And i did suggest this for 1.8 its one of the most effect killers for forum spam. Simply set it to 10 and you will hardly to not at all see forum spam anymore.