to improve:
- continue using icyboards.com
- change icyboards.net/forums to the subdomain forums/icyboards.com

Graphics: 5/10
to improve:
- use the same graphics between the main site and forums
- your best graphics are now in your sig
- if you want to keep your color scheme "icy", don't use red
- use the same favicon in the main site and forums, and prominently display that graphic in the main site and forums - as part of a logo

Monetization: 7/10
to improve:
- describe the function of the PayPal button with a call to action, for example, "Support Icyboards"

Terms of Service: 1/10
Screams your service could fold at any moment; totally fails to inspire confidence.
to improve:
- warranty a 30 day notice before closing up
- provide the export of sites at a given price
- check out how your competition handles this and beat their terms

Other Implementation: 8/10
You're ahead of the curve and seem to be accelerating.
to improve:
- implement mybbgm (as you're planning to do)
This is my MyBB signature. Smile
I am probably older than you.
I know I need to get the logos the same. I'm just really bad with graphics and it's hard for me to find ones I actually like. I'm very picky.

BR549, thank you for the review, but I don't understand a lot of it. Why do I get a 5/10 for "use of two domains" I actually have three, icyboards.net/org/com. I'm not really trying to monetize the site. I don't like asking for donations, so am happy with the button there at the bottom. If someone needs to use it, they know where it's at. The terms of service are written that way purposely. I don't think anything needs to change at the moment. Besides, 99.9% of people don't even look at it.
RedHat Certified Systems Administrator
(10-29-2012, 07:28 PM)spork985 Wrote: I know I need to get the logos the same. I'm just really bad with graphics and it's hard for me to find ones I actually like. I'm very picky.

BR549, thank you for the review, but I don't understand a lot of it. Why do I get a 5/10 for "use of two domains" I actually have three, icyboards.net/org/com. I'm not really trying to monetize the site. I don't like asking for donations, so am happy with the button there at the bottom. If someone needs to use it, they know where it's at. The terms of service are written that way purposely. I don't think anything needs to change at the moment. Besides, 99.9% of people don't even look at it.

You're welcome - spork985. I would offer clarification, but it doesn't seem you'd be receptive. I'm running away now. Undecided
(10-29-2012, 07:41 PM)BR549 Wrote:
(10-29-2012, 07:28 PM)spork985 Wrote: I know I need to get the logos the same. I'm just really bad with graphics and it's hard for me to find ones I actually like. I'm very picky.

You're welcome - spork985. I would offer clarification, but it doesn't seem you'd be receptive. I'm running away now. Undecided

Don't run away lol. I'd at least like clarification on the domains thinger, I don't understand that one Undecided
Spork,

Picky is good, generally. It means you have a high standard, and that you won't allow an utter crap image of IcyBoards. I believe this to be highly commendable.
[Image: kAhpvOW.png]
(10-29-2012, 08:38 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: Spork,

Picky is good, generally. It means you have a high standard, and that you won't allow an utter crap image of IcyBoards. I believe this to be highly commendable.

Thanks, but I know it is kindof a problem. I don't particularly like the logo I did for the homepage. I don't like asking people to make one because they I feel bad when I tell them I don't like what they've made. It's really hard to convey my visions for what it should look like to the creator.
(10-29-2012, 08:59 PM)spork985 Wrote:
(10-29-2012, 08:38 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: Spork,

Thanks, but I know it is kindof a problem. I don't particularly like the logo I did for the homepage. I don't like asking people to make one because they I feel bad when I tell them I don't like what they've made. It's really hard to convey my visions for what it should look like to the creator.

Man up. Everyone has an opinion, if their feelings are hurt because you dislike it then they shouldn't be designing.
Some nice updates made on the site side. However I think the community forum needs to match that.

You do have a nice community though and it seems as if you have quite a service built up there. Keep it going, you must be doing something right on a management and service aspect. You just need to improve on your visual branding now.
This user has been denied support. This user has been denied support.
Congrats on being a Big Board Owner spork.
(10-29-2012, 07:45 PM)spork985 Wrote: Don't run away lol. I'd at least like clarification on the domains thinger, I don't understand that one Undecided

No problem - I've run back to reply. Smile

I offer this without further discussion / elaboration. I encourage you to research these points on your own to determine their value and applicability to your site, if interested, which is easy to do.
- Owning the .com .net and .org is a separate matter from determining whether to use one, two or all three.
- Using only one of these nearly always is preferred for various reasons.
- Using the .com is nearly always preferred for various reasons.
- There are exceptions, but I can't imagine any that should be valued or apply to your site.

Your main site is on the .com. Your forum is on the .net. That contradicts what I just posted above. This no-no deserves my 5/10 rating at best (for whatever that's worth).

To improve:
Continue hosting your site with the .com. Instead of the .net, use a sub-domain for your forum that looks like this - forums.icyboards.com (corrected). Alternatively, use a sub-directory for your forum that looks like this - icyboards.com/forums. You should know how to do this since you're hosting forums. Otherwise it's easy enough to find out how.