Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
InstantMyBB - Free Forum Hosting!
Guys, stop assuming competition here. I'm sure that neither Jason or spork want it.

OT: InstantMyBB seems like a good alternative to IcyBoards and vice versa.

Good Luck Jason.
The domain name is quite interesting.

Oh, well I still have not got my email.
Well its good the admin approved my account.
Jake B. Wrote:I apologize for you not receiving the activation email. It appears our server is having problems sending mail to hotmail/live email addresses. This will be sorted out ASAP. Thank you for letting us know about this problem

I also saw the "Hosted by InstantMyBB". Don't you think users should have the option to at least move it?

Also, the MyBB version check is unnecessary.
There is the "SEO Friendly URLs" in the Server and Optimization Settings. You most probably won't be adding a .htaccess so that option should be eliminated as well.

You're quite low on plugins, but that won't be a problem since you will be uploading lots of plugins anyway.
Make sure you look on the "Vulnerable Plugins List" every now and then.

I also took a look into the manage theme images, but is not that quite tricky? Do you upload theme images, or do members upload themselves?

Good beginning, though there are some things still need to be taken care of.

And whether you and spork like it or not, there will be competition. There will be people who will pop out and show differences on which is better, then someone will be obviously against it, then we can see a IMyBB vs IB issue coming up soon.

Best of luck!
[Image: MaDuhur.png]
by Dukhor, IcyBoards Community Forums
I highly encourage the service being provided. If there is any competition that will be good in my opinion as there will be no monopoly and both the sites will improve eventually. Its always good to have an alternate option, so best of luck with the project.

I guess IMBB's progress will be fast as there are three root admins, a whole lot of team to contribute contradicting spork being the sole admin managing all the admin attention issues (like DB import, backup etc) in parallel with his full time Database Administrator job and maintaining his other interesting websites, at the same time providing enough time to his soon-to-be family.

Regarding some small things of the support site, its OK not having the search box which is good for a support board to dig case studies (though every MyBB guy knows how to call search.php), not having the important links also, but I really missed the breadcrumb. Its the fast navigation way and a must have IMO.

People should not expect everything at the top level from them comparing with IcyBoards. Their strong documentation base or outstanding security has not been built up in a day. Immence effort, patience, contribution and experience is behind it and I believe IMBB team will reach the goal one day. Best wishes for them.
[Image: logo.svg.svg]
Looks pretty good, good luck man
By the way,you should use some short domain name.
Looks good. Competition is healthy and will make both products improve over time. Great work done here. Will keep my eye on this.
Nice project Jason. Love the design.

Remove the collapse button is board stats as it looks old. Also in the Create forum page, when we are not logged in, the username and password inputs and button looks default. Style it a bit to match rest of the site.

Good luck. Smile

(03-05-2013, 02:14 PM)ElectricShock Wrote: And whether you and spork like it or not, there will be competition. There will be people who will pop out and show differences on which is better, then someone will be obviously against it, then we can see a IMyBB vs IB issue coming up soon.

Best of luck!

There won't be an "issue" unless spork or Jason hate competition, which they won't as both of them are technically good at MyBB/programming and have not much to worry about the other.
(03-05-2013, 07:14 AM)Jimmy. Wrote: Guys, stop assuming competition here. I'm sure that neither Jason or spork want it.

OT: InstantMyBB seems like a good alternative to IcyBoards and vice versa.

Good Luck Jason.

Intended or not it is still "competition" which you somewhat say yourself in your second line of your post.

What are you getting at here?

Good luck with InstantMyBB.
There is no issue. We've already exchanged plenty of ideas with one another.
RedHat Certified Systems Administrator
(03-06-2013, 12:27 AM)spork985 Wrote: There is no issue. We've already exchanged plenty of ideas with one another.

We have?
(03-06-2013, 01:43 AM)Jason L. Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 12:27 AM)spork985 Wrote: There is no issue. We've already exchanged plenty of ideas with one another.

We have?

... perhaps not. I'll verify through PM. He claimed to be one of your developers.
RedHat Certified Systems Administrator