2014 MyBB vs phpBB vs SMF
MyBB is the best of the 3 forum software listed in OP
PhpBB fail in my book majorly because of no Ajax posting
SMF is blahhh.. used it for 2 years. Doing mods was a pain
vB is going downhill after new owners took over.. vB5 is just bloated with crap.. and they took away a few features.

TBC
(2014-01-27, 04:54 AM)Cameron:D Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 04:03 AM)Axareal Wrote: Wow, it looks even worse than it was before. So much clutter.

Discourse has plenty of clutter too, most forum platforms do. Having lots of stats and numbers are cool but they mean a lot of information to process. Personally I find that XenForo does the presentation of things like views, replies and dates the best, they're still there but they don't seem as obvious.
I'd agree with the issue with the statistics. I tend to just remove the index statistics from my forums as it's just useless information to most people. Would be nice if they made it optional as that should even cut out some extra queries.

(2014-01-27, 05:48 AM)maniacmusic Wrote: Awesome response. I agree with most of it.
It doesn't surprise me that MyBB isn't much slower, it is probably the fastest of the PHP boards and the main reason I love it so much.
The thing about speed is that you reach a point where most of the lag is the actual latency of your internet connection which can't be fixed without moving the physical servers.
I'm skeptical about the NodeBB speeds as I keep hearing things like it running on SSD VPS' (which would naturally be fast) while typical MyBB installs would be on shared hosting or more conventional hard drives which would be significantly slower.
I'd have to say IMO, the order of the "best" software (best is relative) then it'd be:
Free: MyBB, SMF
Paid: IPB

I don't like Xenforo, it makes me feel as if I'm on Facebook. IPB is nice, it's modern, and there are tons of good themes. I've never been on a phpBB forum that I think "wow, this is very functional". I love MyBB's template system, I hate SMF's template system. The way permissions are setup in MyBB are okay, sometimes they're a pain, but they're a pain on about every forum software. vBulletin - okay if you're running a plain "support" kind of forum for a product. SMF - "simple machines". SMF is just that, simple.
(2014-01-27, 03:49 PM)Axareal Wrote: I'm skeptical about the NodeBB speeds as I keep hearing things like it running on SSD VPS' (which would naturally be fast) while typical MyBB installs would be on shared hosting or more conventional hard drives which would be significantly slower.

Feel free to benchmark it Toungue
NodeBB and Discourse are both very cool. PHP-wise I think esoTalk is the most interesting right now.

There is a lot to be learned for MyBB 2.0.
Haven't seen that one, looks great!
Very interesting approach on the category's and breadcrumb.
Wow, I had never seen NodeBB and Esotalk before. Esotalk is dead but may come back in Flarum. There just isn't any info on Flarum that I could find to determine whether it would actually be any good.

NodeBB looks extremely promising. I just wish it used technologies that were easier for me to understand how to setup...

Mybb, SMF, and PHPBB all fail to meet expectations I would have for a modern forum script. But so do IPB and VB, soooo can't complain too much right (Oh wait, I do).
(2014-02-07, 07:37 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: NodeBB looks extremely promising. I just wish it used technologies that were easier for me to understand how to setup...

If it did it would lose a lot of its uniqueness.
(2014-02-08, 12:46 PM)Alex Smith Wrote:
(2014-02-07, 07:37 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: NodeBB looks extremely promising. I just wish it used technologies that were easier for me to understand how to setup...

If it did it would lose a lot of its uniqueness.

Mhm, I played with it a few days ago, it's definately something that's worth keeping an eye on. I give it two or three years and I can see it being quite a viable competitor.

MyBB is one of the best free platforms right now, that is upto date with features. Albeit that's sad, considering the codebase is a decade old (Well, I doubt any of the original code really is around.) But the point still stands. I see 1.8 and 2.0 making MyBB on par with some of the bigger paid solutions (Woltlab, Xenforo).

The future is nothing but promising for MyBB.
I'm not here often, shoot a PM or whatever if you want my discord.
(2014-01-27, 06:01 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: NodeBB and Discourse are both very cool. PHP-wise I think esoTalk is the most interesting right now.

There is a lot to be learned for MyBB 2.0.

Esotalk looks terrible (in my opinion), it's driving me nuts looking at it, and navigating it. If you really want a 'fat free' forum, just strip out some MyBB features, create a modern design, and you'll have esoTalk. Seriously.

This is what made MyBB so good for me personally, because it allows SO much customization Smile. If you want it cluttered, you can. If you want it simple, you can. It's a 'one for all' forum software, and KEEP IT THAT WAY FOR 2.0! (please) Big Grin

PS: By the way, why is 2.0 necessary? 1.6 seems great. I just wanted to know.