Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
URL structure, meta tags and canonicals
(11-19-2015, 08:09 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: is it advisable that people using google seo right now switch back to the default mybb url structure?

Anybody with a SEO position won't want to do this. It would probably be advisable to first wait for the release of V2, and then hope that the plugin get's updated to be compatible with V2, if the author thereof sees a reason for doing so.

(11-07-2015, 06:08 PM)Euan T Wrote:
(11-07-2015, 01:25 PM)martec Wrote: it's possible use default structure url of mybb 1.8?
i not want use this type of structure...

Yes, you'll need to simply change the main routes.php file, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use the new structure, which makes it much more understandable for human users.

I also hope there will be an on/off switch for the SEO URLs.
What goes around comes around
(11-19-2015, 09:06 PM)Ashley1 Wrote:
(11-19-2015, 08:09 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: is it advisable that people using google seo right now switch back to the default mybb url structure?

Anybody with a SEO position won't want to do this. It would probably be advisable to first wait for the release of V2, and then hope that the plugin get's updated to be compatible with V2, if the author thereof sees a reason for doing so.

(11-07-2015, 06:08 PM)Euan T Wrote:
(11-07-2015, 01:25 PM)martec Wrote: it's possible use default structure url of mybb 1.8?
i not want use this type of structure...

Yes, you'll need to simply change the main routes.php file, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use the new structure, which makes it much more understandable for human users.

I also hope there will be an on/off switch for the SEO URLs.

Due to the way the system works (using a front controller approach rather than multiple files to serve different things), that would be extremely difficult.
We need a plugin for the current version to prepare for the changes.
(08-22-2015, 08:48 AM)Euan T Wrote: Out of the box, MyBB 2.0 uses a "pretty" URL structure in which thread titles, user names, forum names, etc. are included in the URL. It also provides out of the box <meta> description tags and canonical links.

The link structure is as follows:
  • Topic: /topic/9/me-thread
  • User profile: /user/1/admin
  • Forum: /forum/1/my-category
As you can see, the general structure follows the pattern of:
{TYPE}/{ID}/{SLUG}

Hi Euan, what if I want to remove the {TYPE} from topic url will it still work?
Eg if I want to remove
*topic* from /topic/9/me-thread to make it like this /9/me-thread
Will it still work?
Thanks.
(11-24-2015, 06:03 AM)wanchope Wrote: Hi Euan, what if I want to remove the {TYPE} from topic url will it still work?
Eg if I want to remove
*topic* from /topic/9/me-thread to make it like this /9/me-thread
Will it still work?
Thanks.
I'm not Euan, but I'm pretty sure it won't work.

First it would cause really big query overhead. Just using the ID forces MyBB to check all possible models (users, threads, forums, private messages, ...) if the model with given id matches the slug. Moreover when you have e.g. an user with the same name and id as a forum, you could not "open" one of them, or the behavior would be non-deterministic.
You found my signature? Well done : - )
(11-24-2015, 12:40 PM)Nik101010 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 06:03 AM)wanchope Wrote: Hi Euan, what if I want to remove the {TYPE} from topic url will it still work?
Eg if I want to remove
*topic* from /topic/9/me-thread  to make it like this /9/me-thread
Will it still work?
Thanks.
I'm not Euan, but I'm pretty sure it won't work.

First it would cause really big query overhead. Just using the ID forces MyBB to check all possible models (users, threads, forums, private messages, ...) if the model with given id matches the slug. Moreover when you have e.g. an user with the same name and id as a forum, you could not "open" one of them, or the behavior would be non-deterministic.

Exactly. Having the type as the qualifier helps route the request to the right controller.
Just wondering, is the URL going to be something like mybb.com/topic/9/me-thread ?
(:
It should be like this; without mod_rewrite enabled it might be possible, you need index.php in your url (mybb.com/index.php/topic/9/me-thread) ...
You found my signature? Well done : - )
When I now linked a link from with old URL structure. They don't work anymore or could I say use them too ?
(01-09-2016, 10:41 AM)CabCon Wrote: When I now linked a link from with old URL structure. They don't work anymore or could I say use them too ?

As has been said earlier in this thread, old links will be redirected so long as you are using MyBB URLs (either the show thread.php?tid=X style or thread-X.html style).