Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Solved [General] 'additional user groups' plugin for 1.8.10?
Not Solved Question 
I am running MyBB 1.8.10, however need addition user group badges (more than 1 badge) per profile, thus I need the additional user groups plugin. Found here.

It says the version is 1.8.0 and the MyBB Version is 1.8.X. I have used 1.8.0 versions of plugins before on my forums and they have caused problems (activation was disabled, and could not be fixed). And the plugins themselves could not be uninstalled, at all. I was therefore forced to completely install a fresh install of MyBB and start again.

I am just wondering if this plugin is compatible with my forum version of 1.8.10?

Thank You.

Note: Posted here, because plugins / Plugins support is dead and never gets checked, I have searched and found nothing. I have put this on General Support, because I need support and help with my current inssue. Thank You.
Not Solved
If you have the hosting space/resources to do so, install a second copy of the forum strictly for testing purposes. Example: if your main forum is running at www.example.com/forum/, then install a second one at www.example.com/testforum/

Except for those who use a host's automagic installers or have other limitations, it's a simple matter of using FTP to create the appropriate folder to upload the second forum. Create a second database, and connect it to the test forum, then use that platform to install and evaluate a plugin's performance.

To answer your original question, I downloaded and inspected the plugin for additional usergroup badges. There is nothing in the plugin that I can see would prevent it from working in 1.8.10, as long as the forum doesn't already have problems. Obviously, you'll need to be running frostshutz' PluginLibrary. I am using PluginLibrary for a different plugin and am having no problems on my forum.
Not Solved
(02-14-2017, 01:05 PM)HLFadmin Wrote: If you have the hosting space/resources to do so, install a second copy of the forum strictly for testing purposes. Example: if your main forum is running at www.example.com/forum/, then install a second one at www.example.com/testforum/

Except for those who use a host's automagic installers or have other limitations, it's a simple matter of using FTP to create the appropriate folder to upload the second forum. Create a second database, and connect it to the test forum, then use that platform to install and evaluate a plugin's performance.

To answer your original question, I downloaded and inspected the plugin for additional usergroup badges. There is nothing in the plugin that I can see would prevent it from working in 1.8.10, as long as the forum doesn't already have problems. Obviously, you'll need to be running frostshutz' PluginLibrary. I am using PluginLibrary for a different plugin and am having no problems on my forum.

Thank you for the reply, I greatly apprecaite it!
Not Solved
I was asked if it would be a problem setting up a second forum for testing purposes as I described above, if the live forum is delivered from www.example.com. For other readers, I will answer here as well.

Since www.example.com/testforum is not a natural path in a default MyBB installation, it is possible to install a second copy there. Once installed you would browse to www.example.com/testforum as the initial page. If you wanted to be more obscure, you could make your testforum folder something like /xyz123.

It is possible to make a mistake in configuration, so I advise the two forum platforms be visually distinct. In mine, a white logo vs. black logo is easier to spot. Other details can be different too.