Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is wamp secure?
(04-01-2017, 03:10 PM)kaarelyb Wrote: wampserver.com

Windows (WAMP) CAN be a solid production environment if managed correctly.
Optimized WAMP Setting For Increased Performance https://www.devside.net/wamp-server/opti...erformance
This user has been denied support. This user has been denied support.
(04-11-2017, 03:35 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 02:45 AM)Lunorian Wrote: I don't trust Windows to be secure, only a manually configured, hardened Linux server, is secure in my opinion :/

Security isn't an opinion, it's a process. If you trust something to be secure, you've already lost.

All of my systems are manually configured, and regularly tested by me. I never trust that something will just stay safe.

(04-12-2017, 01:16 AM)AmatureDJ Wrote:

Optimized WAMP Setting For Increased Performance https://www.devside.net/wamp-server/opti...erformance

When someone uses one of the thousands of public unpatched exploits for Microsoft Windows to compromise your server please do us a favor and don't ask for help here.
My Came back for bug hunting memes My
(04-20-2017, 04:43 PM)Lunorian Wrote:
(04-12-2017, 01:16 AM)AmatureDJ Wrote:

When someone uses one of the thousands of public unpatched exploits for Microsoft Windows to compromise your server please do us a favor and don't ask for help here.

People host on the server they host on, there are some Linux exploits out there too, a more interesting question would be how WAMP compares to IIS+MySQL+PHP.

Windows is as secure as Windows is, however it does get security patches for exploits monthly, every second Tuesday, and sometimes out-of-band for urgent ones. Plenty of really big corporations host using IIS, don't see too many of them going down.

Hosting under Windows does give you Microsoft to approach for support if someone exploits the host OS, please name an alternate OS with as big a security team to produce OS patches in a timely fashion as Microsoft has.

Moving away from WAMP myself, but that's down to being fed up with the reboots for patch Tuesday, and the fact it's a pest to update, otherwise I'd be happy enough to go from Win7+Wamp to Server 2012r2 + Apache or IIS.
Linux updates tend not to require reboots (except for kernel updates, moderately infrequent with Debian).
(08-15-2017, 02:58 AM)Bearded_Blunder Wrote: Windows is as secure as Windows is, however it does get security patches for exploits monthly, every second Tuesday, and sometimes out-of-band for urgent ones. Plenty of really big corporations host using IIS, don't see too many of them going down.

Exploiting an exploit does not necessarily mean the server is going to go down.
[Image: aJQTgYK.png]
How does Asperger's Network work? Behind Asperger's Network is a behind the scenes look at our inner workings!
True enough, avoiding Windows doesn't make you immune to exploits either.. been some famous linux ones (Dirty Cow, others), Which languished unknown for years just as many Windows vulnerabilities have.

The rest of WAMP is common with LAMP stacks, just disappointing this seemed to turn into Windows vs Other.
I just wish people were more like me. Running servers because you want to learn how a technology works. I'm migrating everything to Nano Server 2016.
[Image: aJQTgYK.png]
How does Asperger's Network work? Behind Asperger's Network is a behind the scenes look at our inner workings!