Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Solved: 2 Years, 5 Months, 3 Weeks ago Upgrade Fail? Stopped/Stalled at Updating Database (1.6.6 to 1.8.13)
Solved: 2 Years, 5 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Quote:Hello Euan T, sent you pm

Should I close the new freshly installed site? It has become active as I have a lot of members in the old forum.  my ip birthday wishes tneb
totally lost my forum after the upgrade, I only have my back up from my PC which I downloaded first before the upgrade but I don't know how to use it and re-upload it back
I just went through a difficult upgrade last night as well and thought the upgrade got stuck at updating the database even though the "next" button was active. Since I was able to trash it all and start over with the original files and database I took a chance and kept hitting "next". Believe it or not, it actually kept going forward despite me thinking it was not.

If you can get all your original files back onto the server and wipe the DB and import the old one again try it all over without stopping even though it looks stuck.
I have learned the hard way to make redundant copies of the database when backing up for an upgrade because weird stuff always happens to me.
(2019-09-10, 03:29 PM)Goggalor Wrote: I just went through a difficult upgrade last night as well and thought the upgrade got stuck at updating the database even though the "next" button was active. Since I was able to trash it all and start over with the original files and database I took a chance and kept hitting "next". Believe it or not, it actually kept going forward despite me thinking it was not.

If you can get all your original files back onto the server and wipe the DB and import the old one again try it all over without stopping even though it looks stuck.
I have learned the hard way to make redundant copies of the database when backing up for an upgrade because weird stuff always happens to me.
It looks like the expected behavior of the upgrade process.

If you upgrade a MyBB installation from version, say 1.8.18, to latest 1.8.21, the upgrade wizard will process upgrade scripts for 1.8.18 to 1.8.19, then 1.8.19 to 1.8.20, then 1.8.21, then upgrade theme & template, rebuild setting, rebuild cache...

For example, you're going to upgrade a MyBB RC1 to the latest version, there might be at least 48/?? upgrade script "next" to click and extra 3 "next" clicks for theme/template upgrade, setting then cache rebuild.

Looks like recent version upgrade scripts don't submit the form to do "next" upgrade process automatically.
Could be wrong but worth a try.
(2019-09-10, 04:47 PM)noyle Wrote:
(2019-09-10, 03:29 PM)Goggalor Wrote: I just went through a difficult upgrade last night as well and thought the upgrade got stuck at updating the database even though the "next" button was active. Since I was able to trash it all and start over with the original files and database I took a chance and kept hitting "next". Believe it or not, it actually kept going forward despite me thinking it was not.

It looks like the expected behavior of the upgrade process.

If you upgrade a MyBB installation from version, say 1.8.18, to latest 1.8.21, the upgrade wizard will process upgrade scripts for 1.8.18 to 1.8.19, then 1.8.19 to 1.8.20, then 1.8.21, then upgrade theme & template, rebuild setting, rebuild cache...

For example, you're going to upgrade a MyBB RC1 to the latest version, there might be at least 48/?? upgrade script "next" to click and extra 3 "next" clicks for theme/template upgrade, setting then cache rebuild.

Looks like recent version upgrade scripts don't submit the form to do "next" upgrade process automatically.

Thank you for that. Great info and now I know it's normal and not to have a mini freak out.
To add my issue to this thread instead of creating a new thread I'll post here.

I attempted to upgrade from 1.6.x (don't remember the specific version now) to 1.8.21 and at first I had three errors in upgrade30.php where I needed to change "continue" to "continue 2" and that moved me past that issue when re-running the upgrade.  Now my upgrade just hangs with no errors and the button showing "automatically redirecting...". I've let it sit overnight and re-ran it repeatedly and I just cannot get past this point.  My db is VERY tiny (less than 3MB) as my community is just a few gaming buddies so it couldn't be that it hangs on the db size. 

My host did recently upgrade their php from 5.x to whatever the newest version is (7.x?) so that may have broken not only my previous forum (the reason for the upgrade) but also the ability to upgrade no?  I'm not really all that tech savvy anymore, especially with databases and forum software so I could use some help here.  Or is it just better for me to delete everything and restore my last db backup (which I did right before I attempted the upgrade)?  I really don't want to lose ~7 years of posting history.  At this point I just want to get something to work, either my old version (I backed up all of the files) or this new version.
If you force a break, use phpmyadmin to look at upgrade_data table / currentscript field to see what script it is working. Upgrade30.php is the last one to push 1.6 to 1.8.0, if I'm reading it right.
[.m. 2019 Dec 04] <--- snipped reply to a spammer --->

(2019-10-30, 04:13 PM)HLFadmin Wrote: If you force a break, use phpmyadmin to look at upgrade_data table / currentscript field to see what script it is working. Upgrade30.php is the last one to push 1.6 to 1.8.0, if I'm reading it right.

Thank you for the meaningful reply.   Big Grin   So even if the Next button isn't there would you say the upgrade is complete or is there another step after where it hangs for me (other than the next button obviously)?  I will remove the install directory and see when I get off work but it would be nice to know in advance. 

Also, any suggestions on where I force a break that would be the most helpful?  
If you're upgrading to 1821, the upgrade data record will be upgrade48.php, otherwise it shows where it stopped. leave the install directory, I think you're not there yet.

Your last known script operating was upgrade30. I started to look ahead to determine what script displays "Automatically". 30, then the next one is 35, but I stopped looking further ahead. The db will show where it stopped. View the script to see what version it's updating so when you try to resume you'll know what version to start with.

This is a guess on my part. I'm learning as I go. Someone with more experience might be able to suggest better.
(2019-10-31, 01:07 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: If you're upgrading to 1821, the upgrade data record will be upgrade48.php, otherwise it shows where it stopped. leave the install directory, I think you're not there yet.

Your last known script operating was upgrade30. I started to look ahead to determine what script displays "Automatically". 30, then the next one is 35, but I stopped looking further ahead. The db will show where it stopped. View the script to see what version it's updating so when you try to resume you'll know what version to start with.

This is a guess on my part. I'm learning as I go. Someone with more experience might be able to suggest better.

Ok thank you for the guidance.