Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Solved: 1 Year, 10 Months, 1 Week ago Upgrade Fail? Stopped/Stalled at Updating Database (1.6.6 to 1.8.13)
Solved: 1 Year, 10 Months, 1 Week ago
Quote:Hello Euan T, sent you pm

Should I close the new freshly installed site? It has become active as I have a lot of members in the old forum.  my ip birthday wishes tneb
totally lost my forum after the upgrade, I only have my back up from my PC which I downloaded first before the upgrade but I don't know how to use it and re-upload it back
I just went through a difficult upgrade last night as well and thought the upgrade got stuck at updating the database even though the "next" button was active. Since I was able to trash it all and start over with the original files and database I took a chance and kept hitting "next". Believe it or not, it actually kept going forward despite me thinking it was not.

If you can get all your original files back onto the server and wipe the DB and import the old one again try it all over without stopping even though it looks stuck.
I have learned the hard way to make redundant copies of the database when backing up for an upgrade because weird stuff always happens to me.
(09-10-2019, 03:29 PM)Goggalor Wrote: I just went through a difficult upgrade last night as well and thought the upgrade got stuck at updating the database even though the "next" button was active. Since I was able to trash it all and start over with the original files and database I took a chance and kept hitting "next". Believe it or not, it actually kept going forward despite me thinking it was not.

If you can get all your original files back onto the server and wipe the DB and import the old one again try it all over without stopping even though it looks stuck.
I have learned the hard way to make redundant copies of the database when backing up for an upgrade because weird stuff always happens to me.
It looks like the expected behavior of the upgrade process.

If you upgrade a MyBB installation from version, say 1.8.18, to latest 1.8.21, the upgrade wizard will process upgrade scripts for 1.8.18 to 1.8.19, then 1.8.19 to 1.8.20, then 1.8.21, then upgrade theme & template, rebuild setting, rebuild cache...

For example, you're going to upgrade a MyBB RC1 to the latest version, there might be at least 48/?? upgrade script "next" to click and extra 3 "next" clicks for theme/template upgrade, setting then cache rebuild.

Looks like recent version upgrade scripts don't submit the form to do "next" upgrade process automatically.
Worth a try.
(09-10-2019, 04:47 PM)noyle Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 03:29 PM)Goggalor Wrote: I just went through a difficult upgrade last night as well and thought the upgrade got stuck at updating the database even though the "next" button was active. Since I was able to trash it all and start over with the original files and database I took a chance and kept hitting "next". Believe it or not, it actually kept going forward despite me thinking it was not.

It looks like the expected behavior of the upgrade process.

If you upgrade a MyBB installation from version, say 1.8.18, to latest 1.8.21, the upgrade wizard will process upgrade scripts for 1.8.18 to 1.8.19, then 1.8.19 to 1.8.20, then 1.8.21, then upgrade theme & template, rebuild setting, rebuild cache...

For example, you're going to upgrade a MyBB RC1 to the latest version, there might be at least 48/?? upgrade script "next" to click and extra 3 "next" clicks for theme/template upgrade, setting then cache rebuild.

Looks like recent version upgrade scripts don't submit the form to do "next" upgrade process automatically.

Thank you for that. Great info and now I know it's normal and not to have a mini freak out.