[Rejected] 1.8.14 issue
You can also run 7.0+ on RHEL and CentOS 7 through the Software Collections repos (which are officially supported, as I understand).

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, there's no real excuse for the project to not take advantage of PHP 7.0+ and vastly improve the code quality through type declarations and the built-in CSPRNG functions, not to mention compatibility with a number of newer (and future!) third-party libraries the core could use to stop reinventing the wheel for certain things.

I'd personally support the project moving to a model of supporting maybe PHP EOL + 6 months. It has some lenience, but ultimately forces people to not run stupidly old versions of software, freeing up the MyBB project to take advantage of new features as they get added to the language, as well as removing code that existed solely to support old versions.
PGP Key (Fingerprint: 23B6 F4C0 FE2D 45AA 61A0 1E86 DB87 09DC DD87 6E40)
(2018-01-21, 09:16 PM)Josh H. Wrote: I'd personally support the project moving to a model of supporting maybe PHP EOL + 6 months. It has some lenience, but ultimately forces people to not run stupidly old versions of software, freeing up the MyBB project to take advantage of new features as they get added to the language, as well as removing code that existed solely to support old versions.

I would also support this. I feel its imperative to - in my opinion - maintain this to keep the community safe. Open Source (I'm sorry) tends to attract people who don't really know what they're doing. By supporting EOL+6 months, it reduces risk.
Quote:I'd personally support the project moving to a model of supporting maybe PHP EOL + 6 months.

That's also reasonable.
+1 for PHP EOL + 6 months.