Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IcyBoards Closing
(05-30-2018, 05:00 AM)jcurlz Wrote: it is sad. i just got everything the way i wanted to. Now on to attempt self host, sucks because im not good when it comes to that. But couldn't find anywhere else the similer to icyboards.. i know the createmybb looks okay but turned me away with the ending of the link being .createmybb.com or whatever it is. to me just looking at someone who going to a site i wouldn't want to type all that or just not even a good ending. now no hate towards them i wish them the best but man i dont think nothing like icyboards is going to come around anymore.

I encourage you to give it a try! Icyboards was actually much more advanced than most other free forum hosts and they limited very little, so I think you will find that it is no harder than you are used to. If you look at the other hosts that dominate the free forum market (such as proboards and forumotion), simply editing the CSS was a huge deal. Those hosts are nowhere near as advanced as the software that MyBB provides, so in my experience, Icyboards was by far the best free host ever created. Nothing else even really comes close (although good luck to CreateMyBB, I'm sure many people will be interested in your service). Toungue

I had plenty of questions when I got started with MyBB, and the community here was fantastic. We are here to answer your questions if you have any!
Made the switch from Icyboards to CreateMyBB myself yesterday and can confirm that all went well. Jon has also installed any extra plugins we've asked for and is pretty quick off the mark with support requests. CreateMyBB gets my recommendation.
Launched and built MyBB 1.8 for CreateMyBB.com today. Included some of my plugins that I made such as ezGallery Pro. I will be able to import forums from IcyBoards that are 1.8

Themes/templates still looking into the past I had safety concerns with php code/variables being displayed.
 Best Kitten Food
[url=http://pcworld365.com/best-gaming-laptop-1000.html][/url]
(05-26-2018, 08:30 PM)Ben Wrote: Sad to hear this. We are still exploring options about the possibility of some team members coming together to make a project similar to IcyBoards.

Is this still a possibility? And if it is do you have a rough estimate as to when the project may be getting off the ground?
A lot of software monetize their project by providing team-hosted versions of the software. IPB, NodeBB, Vanilla etc have a very successful working model of such a concept.
(07-04-2018, 07:25 PM)TYW Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 08:30 PM)Ben Wrote: Sad to hear this. We are still exploring options about the possibility of some team members coming together to make a project similar to IcyBoards.

Is this still a possibility? And if it is do you have a rough estimate as to when the project may be getting off the ground?

Personally, I'd love to see this happen, and have already reached out to the MyBB team offering my assistance, if needed. Smile
RedHat Certified Systems Administrator
(07-12-2018, 11:48 PM)spork985 Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 07:25 PM)TYW Wrote:

Personally, I'd love to see this happen, and have already reached out to the MyBB team offering my assistance, if needed. Smile

I do hope they take you up on the offer of help if it's still a plan they intend on proceeding with.

I really hope the MyBB team really does this and I give my full support! Displaying ads on free hosted sites would help cover costs for the hosting and maybe leave some leftover for the MyBB software development itself. However, it is an expensive project anyways.
Best Regards,
Robert

[Image: ppadbanner.gif]
So sad to hear this
Its an old news and the grace periods are also over, all IB sites are down.
Sad, but thats it. Closed.
[Image: logo.svg.svg]