Solved: 2 Years, 9 Months, 2 Weeks ago Problem installing British English language pack
Solved: 2 Years, 9 Months, 2 Weeks ago
Hello All,

I am a new MyBB user and new to this community. If I am posting this question in the wrong place, my apologies.

I am trying to install the British English language pack. This is on a test version of my forum running on a local computer. (I don't have a live version up and running yet.)

Following the instructions in the docs, I downloaded the relevant file ( English (UK)_#1_dev.zip) and unzipped it into my inc/languages folder. The contents of the folder now looks like this:

inc
   languages
      english
          lots of PHP files for the default (American English) languge
     englishgb
          lots of similar PHP files for UK English
     english.php
     index.html

But the new language is nowhere visible in the Admin or User CP.

I tried going to Admin CP > Configuration > Change Settings > General Configuration > Default Language. But the drop-down control still only shows "English (American)". Similarly, if I go to  Admin CP / Configuration / Languages, I can only see "English (American)" listed under "Installed Language Packs".

I have checked all the file permissions and can't see any problems.

More information:

The docs say:

Quote:The translation author should give you instructions via his or her readme on details including what the <language name> folder name should be.

There was no readme other information about the folder name, so I set it arbitrarily to englishgb (rightly or wrongly).

My version on MyBB is 1.8.15

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
HI

(2018-06-22, 01:37 PM)Mike QS Wrote:
inc
   languages
      english
          lots of PHP files for the default (American English) languge
     englishgb
          lots of similar PHP files for UK English
     english.php
     index.html
that /inc/languages/ folder seems to be missing "englishgb.php" - if that file is there, the system ought to recognize the language pack
Thanks for the prompt reply. You are right that englishgb.php is missing. There was no file like that in the downloaded language pack.

I wonder if I can copy the existing english.php file and rename it to englishgb.php. I can see where to change the name of the language, but not how to point it to the relevant directory.

But I'll experiment - and then report back.

Mike

Success. I copied the existing english.php to englishgb.php. I changed this line:

$langinfo['name'] = "English (American)";

to this:

$langinfo['name'] = "English (British)";

And all seems OK now.

So thanks again, Mr. Linguist. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I continue to explore.

Mike

Hmm. I thought I just posted a new reply to say that everything is now OK. I must have done something wrong. It looks like I appended my new reply onto the end of my previous post. I don't know how I did that. But not to worry. The point is that the problem is now solved.

Mike
(2018-06-22, 03:19 PM)Mike QS Wrote: Hmm. I thought I just posted a new reply to say that everything is now OK. I must have done something wrong. It looks like I appended my new reply onto the end of my previous post. I don't know how I did that. But not to worry. The point is that the problem is now solved.

Mike

The forum software does that. It merges subsequent posts by the same user in the same thread for a certain amount of time.
(2018-06-22, 05:03 PM)linguist Wrote: The forum software does that. It merges subsequent posts by the same user in the same thread for a certain amount of time.

Ah, I see. I hadn't seen that in forum software before. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Thanks.

Mike