Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Solved Having problems closing a thread
Not Solved
I am trying to close a thread, but cannot get it to work. (This is the first time I have tried to do this; I am still in testing mode on my forum.)

I am running MyBB 1.8.15.

I am logged in as a member of Moderators. I have checked that all the relevant boxes are ticked in the group's permissions ("Moderate new posts?", " Moderate new threads?", etc.)

I have tried the following:

- Replied to the thread I wished to close. On the page where you compose the reply, I ticked the box "Close Thread: prevent further posting in this thread" just below the big text area.

- On the thread's page, I used the Moderator Options dropdown to choose "Open / Close Thread", and then clicked the adjacent Go button.

In both cases, nothing happened. There was no indication that the thread had been closed. I was still able to post to the thread. That was also the case when I logged in as an ordinary user.

I must have missed something somewhere, but cannot see what. I would be grateful for any help.

Mike
Not Solved
Hi,

Can we get a link to your forum to have a look?

One thing is, I'm fairly certain you are misunderstanding what the "moderate new threads/posts" options do. These options mean that new posts from users in these groups don't automatically get approved, instead they go to the moderation queue.

Thanks
Tom
Not Solved
It's normal if you're able to reply to closed threads when they're closed. Can you actually confirm they're being closed by using the "Edit/View Thread Notes"? It should be just above "Open/Close Thread". If your thread is closed it should appear in the Moderation Logs.
Plugin Count: I lost count.
Public Plugins are available here.
Official GitHub.
Please do not PM me for support unless asked to.
Not Solved
Thank you both for your replies.

Quote:One thing is, I'm fairly certain you are misunderstanding what the "moderate new threads/posts" options do. These options mean that new posts from users in these groups don't automatically get approved, instead they go to the moderation queue.

Tom, you're right. I had misunderstood that. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:It's normal if you're able to reply to closed threads when they're closed.

Wires, so you are saying that a moderator can still post to a closed thread, but ordinary members can't? Yes, I have just done a test that confirms that.

It's a pity that it is not more obvious to a moderator that a thread is closed. As far as I can see, the only indication of that is the small "locked thread" icon in the list of threads. I'll have to see if I can do something to make it more prominent.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your help. I'm happy that the problem is now resolved.

Mike