Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Luxor Forums - Whitehat & Community Forums
@Ben i do kind of agree with @mayazir in what he is saying in the terms that the visual aspect is a part of a way to sell your site to prospective users it is no different to the "curb appeal" when it comes to house hunting a lot of people do take that first look at things and build an assumption from that as to what the site will be like.

It is fair enough that the site owner or admins do want to offer more to registered users as a benefit for them as without those registered users you do not have a community. I cannot comment as to why @Serpius does give the landing feel that i personally think is a bit off putting rather than selling. whilst that is the path he has chosen and if he does have the users base that he wants or needs then it is not an issue. We can only offer a personal opinions as this thread is about.

I think you took some comments a bit too personal from the above i can see what @mayazir means but "not the unique" and he is right if you do show a guest a reason to stay and use your site they will find another option and there is in reality many out there that is why website flow and appeal is a big thing.

@Serpius i note on your V2 theme the sub menus did not work for me as a guest not sure if you ware aware also the blue link in the please read info bar is very hard to read on the eyes from a colour contrast point
Coming soon......
(02-14-2019, 03:57 AM)fishntassie Wrote: @Ben i do kind of agree with @mayazir in what he is saying in the terms that the visual aspect is a part of a way to sell your site to prospective users it is no different to the "curb appeal" when it comes to house hunting a lot of people do take that first look at things and build an assumption from that as to what the site will be like.

It is fair enough that the site owner or admins do want to offer more to registered users as a benefit for them as without those registered users you do not have a community. I cannot comment as to why @Serpius does give the landing feel that i personally think is a bit off putting rather than selling. whilst that is the path he has chosen and if he does have the users base that he wants or needs then it is not an issue. We can only offer a personal opinions as this thread is about.

I think you took some comments a bit too personal from the above i can see what @mayazir  means but "not the unique" and he is right if you do show a guest a reason to stay and use your site they will find another option and there is in reality many out there that is   why website flow and appeal is a big thing.

@Serpius i note on your V2 theme the sub menus did not work for me as a guest not sure if you ware aware also the blue link in the please read info bar is very hard to read on the eyes from a colour contrast point

@fishntassie

Regarding mayazir's comments, I reiterated my stance on why I did what I have done in regards to guests visiting my website. 

As Ben pointed out, it's easier in most cases for the search bots (Google, Bing, and etc) to index my website pages using the MyBB default theme (it's only colorized, but aside from that, it's the same). 

In 99% of the cases for new user registrations, it only takes about 2-3 minutes from completion of the simple registration form to get the activation email from Luxor Forums in order to activate one's own user account.
Many websites employ this methodology, I don't understand why my website was singled out as being "different" from the others. 

When you state 'submenus', are you referencing to the 'Extras...' tab or the sub-forums in the category section?

A bit of clarification is needed so that I can take the correct course of action if needed.

I will fix that font color link in the "banner". The link looked OK on my computer, but maybe not so much on others. 
Luxor Forums depends on user feedback for such things. Thanks!

UPDATE:

@fishntassie

I made the font color much darker. Is it better for you?
I'm Serpius and You're Not    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[Image: y3xr3cj5]
You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
And my first impression from the colors is that it is a bit garish.

When I test the color (from the pyramid header graphic) on my "color schemer" it has no "black" in the compatibility scheme.
Are you using a color tool to develop the color scheme?

Here is what mine shows for suggested compatible colors (black is not included):

@Serpius please do not think I am singling you out or attacking you in anyway shape or form it is my honest opinion i would state to anyone in terms of designs. i am not trying to knock you down just pointing out some well educated and experienced facts.

it is good to have active conversation and present reasoning for things.

simple things like the average amount of time a users spends on a site before they make a decision as to stay or move on and visual appeal has a lot to do with this.

As i said the choice is yours it is just advice and opinions of some here and that is what the idea of showcasing is about.

Chrome now has a tool that is helpful for understanding colour contrasts as part of its web developer tools now my eyes are not as good as they used to be and this is handy to show you contrasts.

the sub menu links sorry are the subforum links:
[Image: CgFbPp1.png]

when i click on this i get nothing just a something i quickly noted whilst looking at the theme
Coming soon......
(02-15-2019, 12:04 AM)fishntassie Wrote: @Serpius please do not think I am singling you out or attacking you in anyway shape or form it is my honest opinion i would state to anyone in terms of designs. i am not trying to knock you down just pointing out some well educated and experienced facts.

simple things like the average amount of time a users spends on a site before they make a decision as to stay or move on and visual appeal has a lot to do with this.

As i said the choice is yours it is just advice and opinions of some here and that is what the idea of showcasing is about.

Chrome now has a tool that is helpful for understanding colour contrasts as part of its web developer tools now my eyes are not as good as they used to be and this is handy to show you contrasts.

when i click on this i get nothing just a something i quickly noted whilst looking at the theme

I'm gonna be honest, when serpius first laucnhed his site, i LOVED the theme, and complimented it. Now fastforward a few months and his beautiful theme is gone and now his site looks hacked up, chopped up, he should have never changed his original. I don't like the look of site now.
Hey man, what's up?
(02-15-2019, 11:34 PM)Michael2014 Wrote: I'm gonna be honest, when serpius first laucnhed his site, i LOVED the theme, and complimented it. Now fastforward a few months and his beautiful theme is gone and now his site looks hacked up, chopped up, he should have never changed his original. I don't like the look of site now.

It is unfortunate that he has chosen to go down the path he has. I do agree the current guest level theme is not the best idea.
Coming soon......
(02-15-2019, 12:04 AM)fishntassie Wrote: @Serpius please do not think I am singling you out or attacking you in anyway shape or form it is my honest opinion i would state to anyone in terms of designs. i am not trying to knock you down just pointing out some well educated and experienced facts.

Regarding the Subforums issue, I am working with the theme author to correct this.

He has made some additional corrections with the theme to be compatible with a few plugins that I am using.

(02-15-2019, 11:34 PM)Michael2014 Wrote:

I'm gonna be honest, when serpius first laucnhed his site, i LOVED the theme, and complimented it. Now fastforward a few months and his beautiful theme is gone and now his site looks hacked up, chopped up, he should have never changed his original. I don't like the look of site now.

That theme is still there. It's just a matter of registering and activating one's user account that you will see the theme that you liked.

It only takes 2-3 minutes at most to complete this process. I implemented this to protect the users and my investment into the website.

I already have stated my reasons earlier in this thread to implement the default MyBB theme to make it easier for the search bots to index my website.
Search bots have difficulty indexing a website that utilizes customized themes.

Because of my decision to use the default MyBB theme, I got this email from Google that shows proof of Google Indexing - CLICK HERE
(02-16-2019, 02:42 PM)Serpius Wrote:

Regarding the Subforums issue, I am working with the theme author to correct this.

He has made some additional corrections with the theme to be compatible with a few plugins that I am using.

(02-15-2019, 11:34 PM)Michael2014 Wrote:

That theme is still there. It's just a matter of registering and activating one's user account that you will see the theme that you liked.

It only takes 2-3 minutes at most to complete this process. I implemented this to protect the users and my investment into the website.

I already have stated my reasons earlier in this thread to implement the default MyBB theme to make it easier for the search bots to index my website.
Search bots have difficulty indexing a website that utilizes customized themes.

Because of my decision to use the default MyBB theme, I got this email from Google that shows proof of Google Indexing - CLICK HERE

Thx for the addtional info. And that is smart thinking to be honest. Also, I like what Luxor looks like today, looks much better, looks real nice imo.
Hey man, what's up?
Quote:Search bots have difficulty indexing a website that utilizes customized themes.

Search engine crawlers don’t even see a website’s theme. So this is a misleading statement.
[Image: kAhpvOW.png]
(02-16-2019, 07:35 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote:
Quote:Search bots have difficulty indexing a website that utilizes customized themes.

Search engine crawlers don’t even see a website’s theme. So this is a misleading statement.

Do you have proof of your statement?