Jump to the post that solved this thread.
Solved: 2 Years, 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago Hide Email Addresses by default
Solved: 2 Years, 8 Months, 2 Weeks ago
Hi,

Not sure why Mybb allows everyone to see email addresses by default, since that is just asking for scraping and bullying. Either way I've attempted to disable that by making "Hide Email Address" setting to be automatically checked, but it didn't work.

I've followed all the tutorials on the forums below as well in attempt to achieve this, but none of them have succeeded.
https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=433
https://community.mybb.com/thread-180946...pid1186494
https://community.mybb.com/thread-162521...pid1116413

I've tried installing the plugin, changing members.php file, changing member_register template on all the themes for the setting to be checked but it's still off by default no matter what I change.

[Image: Oepr99l.png]
ACP > Templates & Style > Templates (Side menu) > Select Template set > Member templates > member_register

Find:

<td valign="top" width="1"><input type="checkbox" class="checkbox" name="hideemail" id="hideemail" value="1" {$hideemailcheck} /></td>

Replace with:

<td valign="top" width="1"><input type="checkbox" class="checkbox" name="hideemail" id="hideemail" value="1" checked /></td>

Then run the following query to hide emails for existing users:

UPDATE mybb_users SET hideemail = 1;
Plugin Count: I lost count.
Public Plugins are available here.
Official GitHub.
Please do not PM me for support unless asked to.
(2019-02-01, 03:43 PM)Wires Wrote: ACP > Templates & Style > Templates (Side menu) > Select Template set > Member templates > member_register

Find:

<td valign="top" width="1"><input type="checkbox" class="checkbox" name="hideemail" id="hideemail" value="1" {$hideemailcheck} /></td>

Replace with:

<td valign="top" width="1"><input type="checkbox" class="checkbox" name="hideemail" id="hideemail" value="1" checked /></td>

Then run the following query to hide emails for existing users:

UPDATE mybb_users SET hideemail = 1;

Hi, as I mentioned my thread I've already attempted that and it didn't work. I've changed the member_register template on all themes.
It should work. Can you provide a link to your forum?
Plugin Count: I lost count.
Public Plugins are available here.
Official GitHub.
Please do not PM me for support unless asked to.
(2019-02-01, 03:51 PM)Wires Wrote: It should work. Can you provide a link to your forum?

You are right, it works for activated users that signed up themselves via register, but not for users that were created manually via admin panel.
(2019-02-01, 03:22 PM)VIrusKing Wrote: Not sure why Mybb allows everyone to see email addresses by default, since that is just asking for scraping and bullying.

It doesn't. There's an "email user" feature but it doesn't expose the email address of the user.
No longer involved in the MyBB project.
This setting really ought to be default on installation of the forum.
Jump to the post that solved this thread.