Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your opinion and experience with twitter login
Hey, what is your experience, and opinion with twitter login, or social logins in general?

A plugin called MyTwitter Connect 3.0 struck my fancy, and here is a quote from the creator of the plugin.

"MyTwitter Connect can easily let your users register and login using their Twitter accounts with MyTwitter Connect: it differs from existing (both free and paid) plugins thanks to the provided PHP SDK and a lightweight, transparent integration. A must-have for almost every community and compatible with the latest MyBB releases!" - Shade, Developer

My fear with something like twitter login would be, twitter switches up its API rules and makes something like this obsolete, then users can no longer use it. But I have no insight in to the matter, that is why I am reaching out and wondering what you all think of twitter login and registration, or social login in general?

Points. What makes it good?
What makes it bad?
Hey man, what's up?
If any provider changes the API the related plugin is required and expected to be updated.
Once one starts prividing OAuth its a very unusual chance they will withdraw it, I mean, why? Unless the service is being shut down.
IIRC on a login process the user gets a new local account so even if rarest possible Twitter shuts down user can simply reset password and login in native way.
[Image: logo.svg.svg]
(08-24-2019, 03:17 AM)effone Wrote: If any provider changes the API the related plugin is required and expected to be updated.
Once one starts prividing OAuth its a very unusual chance they will withdraw it, I mean, why? Unless the service is being shut down.
IIRC on a login process the user gets a new local account so even if rarest possible Twitter shuts down user can simply reset password and login in native way.

Okay cool, thanks for passing on your knowledge. Every point you made is a valid eye-opener.
Hey man, what's up?
Used to include "social" plugins to get people more engaged, but it turned out that if people want to be a part of your forum, they will register themselves. Had to deal with bots and fishy registrants, and on top of that, tokens expiring and needing to be renewed.

You also encourage harm caused by Facebook, Twitter, and Google by allowing accounts on those platforms to integrate with your community. Forget about the "like" buttons, since they also track you, even if you have never made an account.

Some of my forum members just realized that they could start threads. Thus, simply getting people to sign up is easy. Keeping them around is debatable, especially if you want them to post.
(09-02-2019, 01:07 PM)rfssjz Wrote: Used to include "social" plugins to get people more engaged, but it turned out that if people want to be a part of your forum, they will register themselves. Had to deal with bots and fishy registrants, and on top of that, tokens expiring and needing to be renewed.

You also encourage harm caused by Facebook, Twitter, and Google by allowing accounts on those platforms to integrate with your community. Forget about the "like" buttons, since they also track you, even if you have never made an account.

Some of my forum members just realized that they could start threads. Thus, simply getting people to sign up is easy. Keeping them around is debatable, especially if you want them to post.

Thanks for the insight bro. Also, there was a famous website Called FavStar.fm that was a third party twitter app, but now the site is offline, and totally blames twitter's constant changing API, when I seen that, I knew that social bridges may not be a good idea.
Hey man, what's up?
I have used Shade's plugin Flyover and it worked pretty well, haven't tried the MyTwitter connect though.
(09-02-2019, 01:07 PM)rfssjz Wrote: Used to include "social" plugins to get people more engaged, but it turned out that if people want to be a part of your forum, they will register themselves. Had to deal with bots and fishy registrants, and on top of that, tokens expiring and needing to be renewed.

It was a great help ! Thank you very much for sharing this !