What inspired you to get involved with forums?
I'm often curious about people's responses here. Often it's a passion that you have to design, create, and run a community, and you get experienced with it along the way. Sometimes, it's more organic and spontaneous, revolving around a specific purpose (a fansite, specific need for a company, etc.), and getting involved with administration just so happens to become a thing on the side.

I know that, for me, I got involved with a particular forum when I was young. Not knowing much (and thinking that every website was coded from scratch, oh silly me), I got involved in some smaller communites, and slowly became interested in the software itself, along with the community that comes with it. I'll never quite forget my first reaction to MyBB. I had avoided it in the past, but from the first five minutes of using it, I was instantly sold. Nothing else was nearly as customizable and seamless. Smile

Whatever the origin, what inspired you to get involved with the community here, or with administration in general?
For me was the looping failure to get some website built that got me through different software till I stayed in MyBB, I believe I arrived when the .net domain was still, but I don't recall the domain entirely.

Even now I believe it is not about building but rather I just like the software. I wish I have more time in the future to get back fully to it. I have got so many ideas but so little time. I also need to add to my stockpile of development theory because I feel like I might be left behind sooner than later.

I sometimes get rude or a little over the top but I still oftentimes genuinely enjoy seeing new sites being built using the code that has been being improved over the years.
Been a while since I've seen that username!

I professionally trained in website development; I decided I needed a project and built a forum system that was fast and efficient. Succeeded. Now rebuilding it again. Life never stops.

But at the same time I decided I needed to see a project through.
For me, it was a vbulletin based gaming forum that go me interested in forums.
(2020-02-29, 03:42 AM)Omar G. Wrote: For me was the looping failure to get some website built that got me through different software till I stayed in MyBB, I believe I arrived when the .net domain was still, but I don't recall the domain entirely.

Even now I believe it is not about building but rather I just like the software. I wish I have more time in the future to get back fully to it. I have got so many ideas but so little time. I also need to add to my stockpile of development theory because I feel like I might be left behind sooner than later.

I sometimes get rude or a little over the top but I still oftentimes genuinely enjoy seeing new sites being built using the code that has been being improved over the years.

Much the same for me. I don't have nearly the portfolio of contributions and plugins that you have, but I can relate to being able to contribute. That's the beauty of open source. If the core software doesn't do something, it's easy to get involved and to make it happen.

@ Ben Cousins: I remember you... Toungue Yep, I come and go, but I'm still around! Smile

@WallBB: vBulliten used to be the golden standard for forums many, many years back. Boy, have times changed. Toungue
I got involved with forums about 7 years ago in order to discuss topics I like with like minded individuals.
By accident.  Didn't mean to, but our established board - to which I belonged - was having problems.  The rest is history. Toungue
I was on a couple of forums, one ended up being on MyBB, I got interested in how it worked so looked into the software more and here I am.
MyReactions - All Plugins

Can you still feel the butterflies?

Free never tasted like pudding.
I stumbled across a MyBB forum in 2011, from there I saw the "Powered by MyBB" note in the footer of the site and immediately had huge ideas to design and publish my own forum to the Internet.
I'm going to make a very long story short, way, way, way back in 2003, I used to run a chat room on WinMX, while downloading ebooks and pictures and exchanging recipes I had downloaded to beef up my file share folder.. (back then I was on a crappy 56K dial up connection, and I was in college then, so textbooks and other ebooks was all I could download and was interested in.) 

it was fine, until, I had to contend with perverts and bugs with the chatroom software at the same time, the bugs I could work around, but the perverts, I could not, so when I put in a warning notice telling these people, that were sharing this illegal content, that they would be banned on sight, my notice triggered keywords in the servers I was apart of, and the servers banned me as well.

I had to join the forums, and ask for them to unban me, and then posted the notice I had in my files, that triggered the ban in the first place, they unbanned me, and added me to a whitelist so that I wouldn't be banned again by mistake.

During that process though, I encountered some of the nastiest, most power abusing mods and admins, who truly thought that their ish didn't stink, (I mean, you'd think that they were hired by Jesus themselves..) and while I was happy that they unbanned me, and whitelisted me, the way I was treated, left a bad taste in my mouth, and I never wanted anything to do with their forum again.. and it would eventually shape what kind of admin I wanted to be when I ran my own forum. I wouldn't want to treat anyone, the way I was treated in some of these places, and that is something that still holds true today.

Eventually, I got tired of dealing with both perverts sharing illegal content, and trolls exploiting bugs in the software by quickly entering and leaving the room until they caused both the chatroom and WinMX itself to crash and so after wondering if there was a better way, I decided to close my chatroom, and open my own forum, in 2004, (which, I still run to this day) after my brother opened his and made me an admin there.

He chose IF, and I chose PB because IF intimidated me as a beginner, and that would ultimately be one of the worst mistakes I've ever made because of how limited the software was, but the only thing that gave them the advantage was the fact that it was easy to use, and they had an avatar gallery.

Helping my brother run his forum, and resurrecting it when it died, is basically what helped me cut my teeth as an admin, and learn IF/IPB and with that i quickly realized how limited my forum software was in comparison. I stuck around until their v4 upgrade, but after the issues, and the way the staff treated their customers when they brought them up was why I left them for IF, and eventually another IPB host, until I got here on paid hosting.

Anyway, I apologize for the long post, I did my best to keep my 17 year history as succinct as possible.. but yeah, I let my experience as a user on other forums, shape who I am as an admin.. and I just go on from there.
Growing list of unsolveable MyBB Support issues.. 

https://community.mybb.com/search.php?ac...&uid=81844