Not Solved Spammed with over 10,000 user accounts
Not Solved
(2021-06-18, 10:48 PM)Ben Wrote: It is, and just shows how smart they are becoming in some cases. If you think about it, what is the easiest way to differentiate between phpBB -> MyBB ? The copyright notice in the footer.

How long has your forum been running? It may be the case that you are only now beginning to be indexed by search engines, or perhaps throughout the COVID pandemic people are trying to take the opportunity to exploit the web further.
Been running the best part of 18 months.
I had bots start spamming within weeks, but it largely had halted for the last year after I switched to administrator activation.
Not Solved
We have a similar setup.  Only been involved in the admin for 2 years - but don't have a big problem with spam bots.  This is a good sized and long-standing board with 17K users and 312k posts.  I feel fine-tuning StopForumSpam helped a lot.  The defaults require tweaking - used to be more of a problem.

We also use Display a hidden CAPTCHA - which seems effective against bots.  Now spammers are humans mainly.  Admin activation takes care of the bulk of these.  Restrictions on new user accounts helps too - especially links.  That and good moderation.

Relatively new to MyBB - but not security in general.  Don't put my faith in any one thing. Wink
Not Solved
I using google captcha+mybb in-build captcha. also i using account activation via email+ there is a plugin restricted email. so that people cannot use temporary email address for register.
Not Solved
Hello,

Spammers like to use a tactic known as "disposible email" on certain websites they can create a temporarly email address that lasts just long enough to deceive the "valid email check" of many forum software packages this isn't a mybb only problem you can avoid that issue with a plugin known as MailboxValidator

You can block disposable email addresses or free email addresses (gmail , hotmail etc) or both.