Jump to the post that solved this thread.
Not Solved Extra Group Permissions no longer working
Not Solved
No worries, kizza42.

Your experience of option 2 exposing hidden forums to the wrong member groups is of concern, because it seems to indicate that the fix I've suggested is mistaken. Can you be sure that those hidden forums weren't already exposed to the wrong member groups prior to the upgrade to 1.8.27?
Not Solved
Thats my problem, I cannot be 100% sure as I'm not sure I can confidently roll back the permissions to their exact previous state. Its possible in all my messing about I left a stray permission that led me to the false positive assumption that your suggest didn't work.

What I can confirm however is that if I apply your change as below:
https://i.imgur.com/XjFYKpI.png

In addition to the other changes you suggested to the permissions matrix, They work as intended for me.
Not Solved
OK, thanks for the feedback.

As best I understand, applying changes to the permissions matrix should work regardless of whether or not you also add that line of code, but in any case, I'm glad your problem is resolved.
Not Solved
I think $level_permissions = array(); might be the fix.
Could be wrong but worth a try.
Not Solved
Can it be possible for $fpermcache[$fid][$gid] to be null as well?
Not Solved
(2021-07-21, 08:22 AM)noyle Wrote: I think $level_permissions = array(); might be the fix.

I think it's certainly another possible fix, so long as the else is retained. If we stick with the original, then we can remove the else.

(2021-07-21, 08:00 PM)Omar G. Wrote: Can it be possible for $fpermcache[$fid][$gid] to be null as well?

Yes. That seems to indicate "permissions are inherited from the parent forum, or, if there is none, the usergroup itself".
Not Solved
(2021-07-22, 12:26 AM)Laird Wrote:
(2021-07-21, 08:22 AM)noyle Wrote: I think $level_permissions = array(); might be the fix.

I think it's certainly another possible fix, so long as the else is retained. If we stick with the original, then we can remove the else.

(2021-07-21, 08:00 PM)Omar G. Wrote: Can it be possible for $fpermcache[$fid][$gid] to be null as well?

Yes. That seems to indicate "permissions are inherited from the parent forum, or, if there is none, the usergroup itself".

$fpermcache[$fid][$gid] might be null / not exist, so sticking with the original would result in a PHP warning in PHP 8.0. I guess that's the reason that Jordan made the change.
Could be wrong but worth a try.
Not Solved
(2021-07-22, 06:12 AM)noyle Wrote: $fpermcache[$fid][$gid] might be null / not exist, so sticking with the original would result in a PHP warning in PHP 8.0. I guess that's the reason that Jordan made the change.

Good insight. Your proposal does seem to be "the" solution then.
Not Solved
(2021-07-21, 01:05 AM)kizza42 Wrote: Please post back if you post a bug on Github and I will add my experience to it.

The GitHub issue is #4429 and I've just (a little belatedly) submitted a corresponding PR, #4441.
Jump to the post that solved this thread.