[split] MyBB 1.9 Development
(2021-10-28, 12:34 PM)Ricsca Wrote:
(2021-10-26, 07:37 PM)Matt Wrote: That model is never going to work. It's unrealistic and naive. For starters, after corporate tax is paid on that $50,000, that doesn't even cover a single full time developer compared to what they'd get elsewhere. Then you'd have 1,000 paying customers who are going to expect a reasonable support SLA. Throw into it other plugins like a gallery, and theme development, and you'd have one developer supporting the whole software development, plugin development, theme development, and priority support, on their own, for thousands less than they could get at a regular job. It doesn't make sense. Launching commercial software from scratch needs either an injection of capital or someone with loads of money already who doesn't need an income.
The problem is that nobody is actually going to pay $50 for MyBB as it is now, certainly not 1000 people. You can't take software that's been free for 15+ years, start charing for it, and then expect 1000 people to pay for it. It's a chicken and egg situation, you need money to get the software to a point that makes it viable to charge the money for it that you need to maintain it.

If you think this model would work, you're welcome to fork MyBB, develop the features and plugins and themes, and charge $50 a licence, and see how you get on, it's all allowed under the licence. If it's as sustainable as it's made out to be, there should be no problem getting started with it.

I don't understand how one can deny the evidence!
mybb is about 10 years behind!
those few forums that have users migrate to invisioncommunity paying a lot of dollars and you are here writing that for the development of mybb you don't need money!
I spent $ 350 for ipb + gallery. If mybb were updated and asked me for example 150 I would have paid and like me many users.
mybb is dying so keep standing still while the world goes on ...

I don't know where I said we don't "need" money, and I'm not denying any evidence, you're still fundamentally missing the point. People who pay for IPB/vB/XF are paying for software that is already at a high standard. We could not charge money on the current product in order to get it to a high standard, it would need to be a high standard first. I'm not sure what's difficult to understand about that, and why comparing existing long-standing commercial software to MyBB doesn't make sense. If we slapped a $150 price tag on MyBB today, we would not suddenly start having the sort of sales that the others do because it's nowhere near the same level, it would need to be at a sufficient level first, which is the whole problem we have now.

Just answer this one simple question: would you pay $150 for MyBB as it is now, today? If the answer is "no", then it destroys the argument of charging for it, as everyone else would have the same answer. You'd only pay for it if it was updated and at a higher standard already, and the money to achieve that doesn't come from selling the existing product now.

The other problem is that finding developers who want to work on an ageing codebase isn't straightforward either, generally most of the team have an existing investment or interest in MyBB. Getting in new devs who are fresh to the project has historically never worked either, and will be a lot harder in 2021 and beyond.
MyReactions - All Plugins

Can you still feel the butterflies?

Free never tasted like pudding.
Actually you are saying that mybb is not a good product.
Mybb to date is the only free forum well done much better than phpbb and smuf despite being stopped for about 10 years and the developers work for free!
Or today nobody would pay for mybb but if the developers started developing a new version with everything that google wants in 2021 knowing that at that plunto they can sell licenses I'm sure they would find it.
Mybb, despite everything, is used by many people so surely many would pay ..
If they managed to program mybb, don't redo it is difficult for developers to make an official gallery app.
Mybb base can safely remain free for those who do not want to spend anything while various services could be given for a fee ...
Again, I'm not saying it's not a good product, it's a very good free product, I'm saying it's not something that can reasonably be charged for given the competition. If people currently choose to pay for other software over using MyBB, why would they then start paying for MyBB if it was free at the time they made the choice to pay for something else? If it met their needs they'd already be using it instead of paying for other software, so again the argument makes no sense. This community has long had an aversion to paying $5 for plugins, and again compared to the calibre of other commercial software, I can assure you there would not be as much of an uptake on paid licences as you think there would be.

Saying things like "if the developers started developing a new version", what do you think we've been trying to do all this time? If we haven't got the capacity to maintain the core product, we're not going to have the capacity to maintain the core product and additional services, without enough money to pay several people full time, which simply will not come from selling licences for the software in its current state. I don't know how many times I need to explain that.
MyReactions - All Plugins

Can you still feel the butterflies?

Free never tasted like pudding.
(2021-10-28, 06:11 PM)Matt Wrote: Again, I'm not saying it's not a good product, it's a very good free product, I'm saying it's not something that can reasonably be charged for given the competition. If people currently choose to pay for other software over using MyBB, why would they then start paying for MyBB if it was free at the time they made the choice to pay for something else? If it met their needs they'd already be using it instead of paying for other software, so again the argument makes no sense. This community has long had an aversion to paying $5 for plugins, and again compared to the calibre of other commercial software, I can assure you there would not be as much of an uptake on paid licences as you think there would be.

Saying things like "if the developers started developing a new version", what do you think we've been trying to do all this time? If we haven't got the capacity to maintain the core product, we're not going to have the capacity to maintain the core product and additional services, without enough money to pay several people full time, which simply will not come from selling licences for the software in its current state. I don't know how many times I need to explain that.

if you want to stay still then close the service because it has been stopped for 10 years and those who have large forums certainly do not switch to mybb
Good grief.

(2021-10-22, 10:22 AM)Ricsca Wrote: Forums are no longer used so third-party plguins are always better not to use them.

[...]

If Mybb decides to sell his program at a not too high price, for example 50 euros a year he could work on the updates and I'm sure many people could be willing to give him 50 euros.

I think there is some degree of contradiction in your comments, as you can't expect a project to arise turning into a commercial product while assuring market seems to be declining.

(2021-10-28, 12:34 PM)Ricsca Wrote: mybb is dying so keep standing still while the world goes on ...

Is it dying because it is not commercial or is it dying because the market is declining ? Is phpBB or SMF moving on to a commercial concept ?
Language barrier is strong with this one. Ricsca, with all due respect, maybe you should be arguing with people in your native language.