Automatic Demotion
Hi there,

I have this idea that has been praised by a fellow support moderator.
The idea is as mentioned in the thread subject; to have a function that would automatically demote inactive users from groups. Auto-demotion would be triggered by inactivity on the account or have not posted/created a thread within (X) number of days. I would like to know if this is possible to be made and if anyone can work on something like this out of generousity.

The function of the plugin is to demote inactive users to a different group due to inactivity or have not posted within (X) number of days. With the inactive users moved into a group with less permission, whenever logged in, just underneath the header it will display, you have been moved to the "inactive Group" please post at least (x) number of times within (x) number of days to keep ur status in blank group. Something like a warning. Once users have posted again, the warning will be removed and user will automatically be promoted back into the group with the correct permissions. This way users can access content that requires users to be active and participate without just registering and leeching.

Benefits of this plugin created is creating an active community free from leechers. This way any community will automatically notice live forums with active replies to them (keeping communities/forums leechers-free).

If anyone would like to turn this idea into a plugin. I would be more than happy to assist in anyway in terms of detailizing of what can/should/must have in the plugin. (Send me a PM).

MikeyJai
Bump!
This would be nice Smile
Not only for inactivity. You could Jay demote after X amount of days. This would be useful for premium memberships. Buy 1 year and you get 1 year, then demotion down to member again Smile
bump bump
ask asmile to add this to his forum cleaner plugin. its already got functionality to remove inactive users, should not be too hard to add a demote feature
Lost interest, sold my sites, will browse here once in a while. It's been fun.
So let's review.

You want a plugin to remove access and restrict privileges if they aren't active. Yet how can they make posts without the access? Seems like your idea is not thought out very well. And yes I understand you might have forum A restricted but not Forum B to a certain group. Still I don't see a lot of benefit forcing participation in forum B just to get access to forum A. And you're going to promote low quality participation in forum B with this idea.

btw this thread is from July.
(10-19-2010, 01:14 AM)labrocca Wrote: So let's review.

You want a plugin to remove access and restrict privileges if they aren't active. Yet how can they make posts without the access? Seems like your idea is not thought out very well. And yes I understand you might have forum A restricted but not Forum B to a certain group. Still I don't see a lot of benefit forcing participation in forum B just to get access to forum A. And you're going to promote low quality participation in forum B with this idea.

But its similar to a subscription setup, but the 'payment' can be active participation rather than actual money

(10-19-2010, 01:14 AM)labrocca Wrote: btw this thread is from July.

original poster bumped it, its all good
Lost interest, sold my sites, will browse here once in a while. It's been fun.
But he wants this based on inactivity not any type of payment system. So that's not really relevant.
I don't think he ever stated the demotion would take away the ability to post, likely some other privileges.