Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
InfernoDev Forums (Tech news, Web Dev, Programming, IT)
Wink 
Hello everyone,
I am a developer for Inferno Development, a blog about tech news, web development, programming, coding, and IT topics.
Our tech forums: http://www.infernodevelopment.com/forum

Basically, our forum is a community of people who love to delve into various fields in computing, including web coding, programming, technology, computers, gadgets, photoshop, social networks, and security. If you own your own website that's tech related, you will meet life-long friends here who will consider you part of their family.

Our site is fairly new and we've recently redesigned our forums and upgraded to 1.6 (and will be releasing our own MyBB plugins to help the community). Although we're new, we've had some great successes already, reaching to the Top 10 of Digg on a few occasions.

I welcome any advice, criticism, questions on our forums, blog, and/or organization.

Our forum is pretty small at the moment, but it's a forum where members are dedicated and will answer your questions / topics within hours of posting. It has a friendly atmosphere where we can post just about anything on your mind without fear.

TL;DR: Friendly atmosphere, tech forums, for coders and designers.

What do you think?

[Image: logo.png]
Inferno Development for Web developers, programmers, software engineers and a community forum to meet other developers!
I would reduce the "x members have been online in the last x minutes." 100 Hours seems a bit extreme.
I think he did that to make the forums look more active than they really are.
No PM support
My YouTube
(08-16-2010, 08:09 PM)Gaara Wrote: I think he did that to make the forums look more active than they really are.

Which is really stupid. I didn't join just because of that.
Ah - ah - aaaaahhhhhh - part.

Well, at least you have some content. Good luck on your endeavors!
good u
(08-16-2010, 08:43 PM)Tierney Wrote:
(08-16-2010, 08:09 PM)Gaara Wrote: I think he did that to make the forums look more active than they really are.

Fixed. I didn't think it mattered.

However I don't understand your reasoning, you liked the forum and were about to become an active poster but then saw 4 days instead of 15 minutes and decided this wasn't a great forum after all? Why would you not join a forum because it shows the number of active people in the last 4 days? Some people post every 4-5 days due to job requirements.

It's not a huge forum, so this is the only way to prove that a lot of people do actually visit this forum every few days. The forum gets a lot of traffic, just doesn't have hundreds of active posters that surf the forum every 15 minutes, so this is why I had modified the minutes. Seeing that at 2 AM there is no active posters on the forums in the last 15 minutes is better??

If this number should never be changed, then you should post a request for the developers to remove the modification of the minutes.
Inferno Development for Web developers, programmers, software engineers and a community forum to meet other developers!
This forum is actually what made me want to switch to MyBB. I'm not a member but somehow I watched one of their videos on Youtube and looked at their forums. Then I fell in love with MyBB.
--Pyridine
(08-17-2010, 04:32 AM)pyridine Wrote: This forum is actually what made me want to switch to MyBB. I'm not a member but somehow I watched one of their videos on Youtube and looked at their forums. Then I fell in love with MyBB.

I'm glad we inspired you to choose MyBB. Glad you liked our vids.
(08-17-2010, 04:25 AM)eXecute Wrote:
(08-16-2010, 08:43 PM)Tierney Wrote:

Fixed. I didn't think it mattered.

However I don't understand your reasoning, you liked the forum and were about to become an active poster but then saw 4 days instead of 15 minutes and decided this wasn't a great forum after all? Why would you not join a forum because it shows the number of active people in the last 4 days? Some people post every 4-5 days due to job requirements.

It's not a huge forum, so this is the only way to prove that a lot of people do actually visit this forum every few days. The forum gets a lot of traffic, just doesn't have hundreds of active posters that surf the forum every 15 minutes, so this is why I had modified the minutes. Seeing that at 2 AM there is no active posters on the forums in the last 15 minutes is better??

If this number should never be changed, then you should post a request for the developers to remove the modification of the minutes.

I chose not to join because that is dishonest. It is a trick to make it look like there are hundreds of users active recently, when only a fraction of those users have been on "recently." That box is to show who's online, not to show everybody that's been online.
It's not a trick and it's not dishonest. A trick would be to edit the template or code so that it says 15 minutes but is actually 1000s of minutes. That would be a trick. That would be dishonest.

Showing the last 4 days and TELLING you it's showing the last 4 days, is not dishonest or a trick. It's a valid option created by MyBB developers. Just by the mere fact that MyBB allows you to change that option you're also blaming MyBB for giving administrators this ability. If you truly believe it is dishonest, go ahead and request that that option be removed from further MyBB forums.

I've already changed it back to 15 minutes, but I don't think you care. You don't even know me or anyone in my community and automatically assume we're dishonest. Judging the book by its cover.