MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Server Colocation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Blizzard is auctioning off old WoW hardware for charity and, while I highly doubt I'll actually do this, I was wondering how much I might expect to pay to colocate one of those beasties.

When I first heard about the auction I immediately thought "how badass would it be to run my guild's website on once-official WoW hardware?" While the whole idea is just dreaming (it's probably way, way out of my price range), I would still like to know how feasible it would be to do so. I was hoping one of the much more experienced webmasters around here would be able to satisfy my curiosity.
Pretty much every company has different pricing for this... and different levels of packages. Google it Wink
Regarding the WoW servers you know they don't work right? But, either way I think a WoW blade would be over kill for web hosting Toungue.

I see most Colo starting around $80.
the place we do right now is 130/m with 24/7 monitoring, hsrdware replacements and unmetered bandwidth.
(2011-11-02, 05:59 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding the WoW servers you know they don't work right? But, either way I think a WoW blade would be over kill for web hosting Toungue.

I see most Colo starting around $80.

Not exactly... they're being sold as-is but they may work Wink
I really see no reason why they won't work. Yes you can't run a wow realm from them, but some of the hardware is only a year or two old Confused
(2011-11-02, 06:52 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I really see no reason why they won't work. Yes you can't run a wow realm from them, but some of the hardware is only a year or two old Confused

I'm sure most will work. If I'm reading the auctions correctly, they are just the blades though... so unless you have the actual bladeserver to stick them in...
Yeah, you'de need a compatible power supply and server rack. They should all work. they aren't "broken" blades, they're just retired.

Some of the blades are from WOTLK realms, so it is likely the blades may only be a few years old.
As far as I understand they need maybe a HDD and for sure the blade rack. I highly doubt they specifically disabled the hardware, and even if they did it would probably still be possible to get it working with some EE magic. $80/$130 a month is a lot less than I thought, but still drastically more than I can afford, though like I said this was only a "wouldn't it be cool if..." thing. Even more so if we got a shard for the realm the guild's on. Though if I were to buy a few others and sell out hosting to other guilds I might be able to turn a profit... Nah.
I was going to bid for one, but postage to the uk is like $130
Pages: 1 2