MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: please do away with presentation junk in the html!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
please do away with the <strong>, <em>, & <b> tags, & the color properties, & any & all other presentational junk in the html!! & please do away with inline css!! let's keep all presentation in one place pleeeease!! I'm just finished changing all the presentation tags in the templates, & it's soooo much nicer & easier to work now!! Big Grin

ps. i'll second the peeps on the integrated gallery (cuz i struggle to get a bridged gallery the same theme & the plugins aren't very good imho), png default image type (cuz it supports transparency & gif doesn't), & the mods can't edit admin posts (cuz that would suck if they did, & why leave it to a plugin, that should be standard imo)
1. The inline CSS and stuff in templates depends quite a bit on the author.
2. Same as in the other thread.
3. I think that would be a nice improvement.
4. Sometimes, I think they should be able too. But, most of the time, this would be a great feature.
1. Not likely to be changed in the 1.6 branch unfortunately due to the size of the task. 2.0 will do things properly (probably).
2. Not likely to happen. MyBB is a FORUM system - not a social media system. Why do we need a gallery? The number of people who would benefit make up a very small percentage of the user-base.
3. As with #1, it's not likely to happen in the 1.6 branch.
4. There's already a plugin that restricts this. It doesn't need to be core functionality IMO as it's useful in some cases that a moderator can edit the admin's posts.
It's already been said that the 2.0 default theme will use PNG images and there will be no or minimal inline styling.

A gallery will definitely not be included in the core product.
1. Hey @Mr Shepperson ^_^ Shot for cutting down on the inline styling!! It sucks when you find this word or two where you want to edit the style, so you inspect the element with firebug only to find it wrapped in some presentational html.

2. I know this is a forum not a gallery, all I'm saying is that if the idea does happen to spin around with you devs, or at some stage you want to make an official extension for this, I'm not going to try & talk you down. It would be rad.

3. Rad about the PNG defaults!! Careful though, I don't think 24bit PNGs support transparency for some reason. 8bit and 32bit PNGs do.

4. If you had an option in the permissions or somewhere else for the last one, it would be a nice addition ^^

Oh, and lastly, it's probably a simple edit I have to get around to later, but It'd be sweet if I could just click on the <td> in the calendar instead of having to click on the day number in the corner. No matter how big I make the number, every time I go to the calendar, I want to be able to click the whole block. Just a suggestion.
Sometimes the tags can be helpful, though. XP Like, for instance:

.thead > strong { }

They don't affect me personally (In a bad way I mean), but I see how you could find them annoying sometimes.
Quote:Sometimes the tags can be helpful, though. XP Like, for instance: .thead > strong { }
for that matter, use a <span class="blah_blah_bold_text"> & make it bold in the css. inline style is horrible[full stop!!] it's awkward & it clutters the script. as far as i'm concerned anyways ^_^
oh, &
Quote:I *think* that postbits are going to be table-less, but don't quote me on that.
rad!! Big Grin
(2012-02-12, 09:25 AM)antiother Wrote: [ -> ]please do away with the <strong>, <em>, & <b> tags, & the color properties, & any & all other presentational junk in the html!! & please do away with inline css!! let's keep all presentation in one place pleeeease!! I'm just finished changing all the presentation tags in the templates, & it's soooo much nicer & easier to work now!! Big Grin

<strong> and <em> are NOT presentational
Quote:<strong> and <em> are NOT presentational
they might imply meaning as well, but they're presentational. sorry. http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_phrase_elements.asp
(2012-02-19, 02:52 PM)antiother Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:<strong> and <em> are NOT presentational
they might imply meaning as well, but they're presentational. sorry. http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_phrase_elements.asp

<strong> and <em> are semantic tags, sorry.

Also, W3 Schools aint good resource, sorry for that too.

If you are looking for real source on web dev, there is nothing better than Mozzila Developers Network:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/HTML/Element/strong
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/HTML/Element/em
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7