MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Easier Theming in the ACP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, now that we know CSS will replace a large portion of buttons in 2.0, I think a great feature would be to have a theme color picker in the ACP.

Let me clarify: I do not mean a big swatch where you click a square. I mean an actual color picker. Dare I mention where I got this from (xen...).

I was just trying xen (don't worry, I still like MyBB much more! Plus free never tasted so good...) and I was amazed at how I could change the default theme in just a few clicks. I changed it to red in literally about 1 minute.

I am sure it is not the easiest to code, but it has been done, and I think it would be awesome to have an easy way to theme without making half a million CSS changes.

I don't think this is one of those "better as plugin" type things, because I could see people doing this to quickly change their color. People wouldn't have to look so hard for a plain red default theme, they could just make about 10 clicks in the ACP, and be done.

Potential issues:
-Non-transparent images (like smilies).. However, I hope the images are updated to transparent ones.
-Difficulty to code (but I believe many users would be eternally grateful for your suffering to bring this feature in).

Another few things I wish to say:
- I am not saying that this HAS to be done.
- I know that not EVERYONE would use it, but there would likely be a good chunk of users using it.
- I feel like I have seen this suggested before, but I couldn't find the thread or posts for it.

Comments? Questions?
+1 for this idea. It would help a lot of newbies. Smile
B-b-b-b-bloaaaaat.
(2012-02-28, 10:57 AM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]B-b-b-b-bloaaaaat.

This. It'd be a nice plugin, but so much bloat.
(2012-02-28, 05:19 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-02-28, 10:57 AM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]B-b-b-b-bloaaaaat.

This. It'd be a nice plugin, but so much bloat.

May i know what makes this bloat?
Basically something like this?

[Image: free-minimal-wordpress-theme-025.jpg]
I wouldn't see any issue with adding this. Drupal has had a color module for a long time and it's pretty nice Big Grin.
@Malphas - Basically.

Lots of web applications are implementing this now. I know vB4 has it, xen does, and I believe IPB is. And apparently Drupal. Wordpress has a bit, IIRC.

My point is not that it has to be implemented because IPB or vB has it, but that this is becoming popular and sort of a trend. I think it would be beneficial to the modernization of MyBB in 2.0.

I don't want to shove this down people's throats, but I figured I would bring it up.

@Lo - that would be one heck of a challenge to write, I believe. Changing each template, dynamic CSS, everything. It could be a plugin, but I have a feeling it would be a bit of a PITB to code. But, that only comes from me, who is not a plugin expert or a PHP expert.
@Kavin
MyBB could spend hours coding this colour picker in to the default version of MyBB, only for a themer to choose a colour then copy paste the same hex code for all instances he wants it - or MyBB can stay how it is, the devs don't have to code it in and the themer can still copy paste the hex code wherever he wants it.

Basically it's just coding in a colour picker - there's no point, where someone can use a online colour picker or paint, gimp or photoshop to get #ffffff and copy paste it in. It could be x number of lines added to MyBB and its load time to get #ffffff or keep it as <input type="textbox" /> for them to get #ffffff.

Waste of code, imho.
>use CSS variables
>pick colors using color picker
>stick said colors into variables
>?????
>profit!

Really guise, this isn't all that much to ask. A system where theme authors can take advantage too is not a bad thing. One page, with a JS-powered color picker, which updates predefined CSS variables specific to each theme.

I'd like to see this. It might encourage some theme authoring uniformity, and it can certainly be used on the vast majority of custom themes.
Pages: 1 2