MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Install ZB Block
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi all,

I've been having a lot of trouble with spammers and have installed ZB Block on my forum. I've got it working by calling the script from each page I want protected but I was wondering if some one could suggest a simpler install method. Is there a script that is called early in the page rendering process that is common to every page? For example, to use the script in SMF it requires one line to be added to settings.php. AFAIK MyBB caches settings.php so it won't work in this case but I'm looking for something similar.

Thanks,
Matt

edit: I think global.php might be my best bet. I'll let you know how I go. Smile
ZB Block is working well with the code to call it added to global.php. I changed the suggested code from:

<?php include('/home/my_home_folder/public_html/zbblock/zbblock.php');?>

to:

<?php require_once('/home/my_home_folder/public_html/zbblock/zbblock.php');?>

and so far the script has blocked nearly 100 assorted spam bots and nasties from sapping bandwidth. I haven't observed any ill affects yet but I'll keep you posted.
You could add it to the header or footer template, that is loaded in each page.
(2010-12-26, 10:44 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]You could add it to the header or footer template, that is loaded in each page.

can't include PHP in templates, at least without a plugin.

Thanks for the replies. ZB Block has blocked over 500 spammers etc since I last posted. It's working quite well being included in global.php.
Does global.php include the config ?
If so it's a good thing.
It must be done before any sql queries...
Secondly, I noticed they just blindly block all IP's from china, I'm interested in using it, but not if I can't get visitors from abroad.
Any way to stop this ?
(2010-12-27, 10:49 AM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]Secondly, I noticed they just blindly block all IP's from china, I'm interested in using it, but not if I can't get visitors from abroad.
Any way to stop this ?

The blanket China/North Korea IP blocking is an optional add-on and not enabled by default.
Good, adding to global.php it is !
I just installed in global.php, I hope that will works

After one day still new members register
(2011-01-03, 06:51 PM)dyrer Wrote: [ -> ]I just installed in global.php, I hope that will works

After one day still new members register

Hi. I was wondering if it worked for you by adding it to global.php. So far, it doesn't seem to work for me.
(2011-02-22, 05:20 PM)grafiks Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. I was wondering if it worked for you by adding it to global.php. So far, it doesn't seem to work for me.

It works for me. It's stopped about 5000 sessions so far.

edit:

You'll still get some spammers signing up as ZB Block only checks the IP address against the Stop Forum Spam database.
Pages: 1 2 3