MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: permission issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think I'm having some permission problems, I think I got them all correct but it doesn't work like it should.

Normal members (just Registered) can see topics in hidden categories when they click "View New Posts" or "View Today's Posts".

I've checked the permissions, they:
Can't view forum,
Can't view threads within forum
Can't search forum?

I've unchecked all of those 'can do' boxes in the 'edit permissions popup screen'.

At disallowed actions I've got all the 'view' 'post thread' and more of those.

I must be doing something wrong, but after a few weeks of searching I can't find the problem Huh

I really hope someone here knows what I'm doing wrong, because it's not looking very professional like this. If you need more info just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

- Robbert
you should login as an ordinary member to checkout the permissions ...
That's the strange thing, I have a test account which I use to check things like that but I don't see any hidden topics. So I thought it worked fine.

But I got some mails from members who say otherwise (also seen some printscreens), very strange!
hmm., do you have additional groups on - they provide different set of permission grants ...
Yes I've got some additional groups, I've set them for all groups.
check if additional group permissions override the primary group permissions ...
may be you can login as another user ( external link ) and check the permissions ...
Thanks, but some of the users who see these topics are not signed to any other groups than the regular 'registered' group. So that can't be right?

edit: just got in a printscreen from a user, his Primary User Group is registered, and hasn't got any Additional User Groups. But he's seeing topics which should be only visible to admins and mods. I really don't get it ?!
^ hmm., yes, this type of issue had been raised before (eg.) - not sure what exactly is happening
BUT seriously I do not see this type of permissions problem on my myBB forums !!
He also never got the solution working I see, that's what scares me ... I really tried but it just doesn't work.

It must be something I forgot, or am doing wrong if you say you haven't got this problem on your forums.
The thing is that MyBB (by default) has no user specific permissions. It's all done through groups. So if your test account has *exactly* the same group membership as the user who reported the problem, you should be seeing the problem too. So something is odd here.
Pages: 1 2