MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: reCaptcha or advanced Captcha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The majority are spambots, I installed Security Question and now I don't have any spambots that come to my website!!

Another proof:
Spambots spend less than 20 seconds on the forum meanwhile they edit signature, homepage, birthday, and post something on the forum << can that be a human?
I meant the majority in general, not on your site specifically.
@Malcolm, I'm afraid I don't get what's really your point on this topic? We're clearly discussing about spambots here, not about "human spam". Are you trying to say this feature suggestion for MyBB 2.0 is not worth the trouble because most of the spam you get are from humans and not from spambots? Would you please explain what is your opinion regarding the feature that has been suggested on this topic?
(2011-07-30, 04:39 PM)EviLito Wrote: [ -> ]@Malcolm, I'm afraid I don't get what's really your point on this topic? We're clearly discussing about spambots here, not about "human spam".

I was simply stating that the majority of spam is made by people that are paid to spam forums. Infact, a lot of spam software such as Xrumer does not even support MyBB.

(2011-07-30, 04:39 PM)EviLito Wrote: [ -> ]Are you trying to say this feature suggestion for MyBB 2.0 is not worth the trouble because most of the spam you get are from humans and not from spambots?

I never said my forum gets spam.

reCaptcha has been broken by spambots, along with most other forum captcha systems.

Better algorithms to generate the captcha will help to prevent spambots from signing up, yes, but imho MyBB should concentrate on human spam prevention.

For example, the option not to allow users to create signatures or add homepages until they make x amount of posts, not allowing users to post links in posts until they have created x amount of posts, etc...

If the spammers find limitations like that, they won't come back.
(2011-07-30, 04:57 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]For example, the option not to allow users to create signatures or add homepages until they make x amount of posts, not allowing users to post links in posts until they have created x amount of posts, etc...

If the spammers find limitations like that, they won't come back.

Agreed!
I would make the CAPTCHA plugin-friendly, so we can easily provide our own tests. Security questions are decent provided there is only one correct answer to each question and the software accepts alternate spellings. A CAPTCHA which shows 5 or 6 photos of animals and asks the user to identify the horse would be simple for humans to pass, but harder for bots.
(2011-07-31, 05:35 AM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]A CAPTCHA which shows 5 or 6 photos of animals and asks the user to identify the horse would be simple for humans to pass, but harder for bots.

Not really, they'll be able to figure out it's asking that sort of question, and it then has a 1 in 5/6 chance of getting it right first time, or if not, it just tries the other 4/5 options until it's right.
(2011-07-31, 11:37 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-07-31, 05:35 AM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]A CAPTCHA which shows 5 or 6 photos of animals and asks the user to identify the horse would be simple for humans to pass, but harder for bots.

Not really, they'll be able to figure out it's asking that sort of question, and it then has a 1 in 5/6 chance of getting it right first time, or if not, it just tries the other 4/5 options until it's right.

As with any good CAPTCHA, both the images and desired animal would change with each attempt. In either case, someone would have to write a bot specific for this kind of CAPTCHA.

If you would rather have an open-ended question for the CAPTCHA, show a group of photos and ask how many meet a certain criteria.

The whole point is that different webmasters may want different forms of CAPTCHA.
Figure out what country the IP is originating from then use Fassim Anti Spam to block that region.
(2011-07-31, 11:15 PM)jmeeter Wrote: [ -> ]Figure out what country the IP is originating from then use Fassim Anti Spam to block that region.

Is this kinda off-topic? I don't get the point of it! + We don't need to block regions just bcz there are spammers there!
Pages: 1 2 3