MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: reCaptcha or advanced Captcha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
99% of my forum's spam was coming from countries like Pakistan, Philippines, India, etc. I blocked those countries and the spam stopped. Smile
Security Question is much better than any captcha if you set your own list of questions and answers.
I do not see why recaptcha would be any better. It has been cracked so any spam bot can get past it..
(2011-07-29, 07:32 AM)yulasinio Wrote: [ -> ]I have reCaptcha installed and still get 2,3 bot per day. But after i installed the Security question plugin i get none Big Grin
So for 2.0 we need something stronger/smarter then reCaptcha

Me too Big Grin, installed both reCapcha and Security Question, and prevented bot from auto registration.

I think MyBB 2.0 should include Security Question ( My forum converted from SMF, in SMF has this option as default), and improve capcha Smile
reCaptcha can be cracked too... it's Security Questions who stop all the bots.

http://www.xrumerlabs.com/

XRumer bypasses ReCaptcha and other Captchas!
CAPTCHAs can be defeated using an OCR and they can be a problem for visually impaired users. reCaptcha is pretty strong but it can be defeated too (usually with a dozen of attempts). reCaptcha also has a voice-mode for visually impaired users, but it's in English language only. So... reCaptcha is better than the average CAPTCHA, but it's not a panacea.

Security questions can be a good alternative (well, they could be defeated by natural language processors) and they are better for visually impaired users. Obviously, there should be a way to add/change/translate questions.

You can also use filters like Bad Behavior http://bad-behavior.ioerror.us
Why not a solution similar to MathGuard? I highly doubt a spambot will have the resources to render the page, screencap it, find the CAPTCHA, then use OCR to guess.
(2011-08-11, 12:14 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]Why not a solution similar to MathGuard? I highly doubt a spambot will have the resources to render the page, screencap it, find the CAPTCHA, then use OCR to guess.

Nice, but there's the same accessibility issue for visually impaired users.
(2011-08-08, 06:17 PM)ekerazha Wrote: [ -> ]Security questions can be a good alternative (well, they could be defeated by natural language processors) and they are better for visually impaired users. Obviously, there should be a way to add/change/translate questions.
If I had a choice between writing OCR script or a linguistic parser, I'd choose the latter every single time.
Also not mentioning the limited domain scope of a security question, meaning you could defeat it without any complicated script at all.
Security questions are only working because bots haven't been designed to recognise them on MyBB forums. If it becomes popular enough for the bot coders to care, you can be sure it'll be a lot more useless than the MyBB CAPTCHA (which is really quite weak).
OR a 3-captcha system (3 captchas in 1 page, or even more!)
Pages: 1 2 3