MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
MyBB 1.64

I started another thread on this, but it was specifically in reference to the 'Admin Activation' option. I have since discovered that no matter how registration is initiated I get the same error.

Once you fill out the registration screen and fill in the correct Captcha code and click submit, the next thing that happens varies between three different things...

1.) The screen comes back and loads the header with nothing else.
2.) The screen comes back and loads the header with "error" indicated on the screen. Nothing else.
3.) The forum blows up and resets the connection, which gives you a browser error.

In all cases, after recovering from the error and reloading the page, the user filling out the form automatically becomes registered and threw into the default users group with no verification. This occurs with 'random password', 'admin activated', or 'email verified' activation options.

I just need to know what file/files are loaded or ran during the registration process so that I can at least know where to start looking for problems. I'm not asking for a solution (although that would be nice), just a place to start. I've already tried replacing the user.php file with a fresh copy and that got me nowhere. Thanks in advance.
Member.php
Good luck with this, you definitely seem like someone who is into programming. Big Grin
(2011-08-03, 07:02 PM)Peter Chao Wrote: [ -> ]Member.php
Good luck with this, you definitely seem like someone who is into programming. Big Grin

Umm... no Smile I never took an interest in programming. I appreciate the art of it, I was just never good at it. Actually, I was just planning on replacing whatever file it was with a fresh copy to see if that changed anything. It didn't.

I copied over a new member.php file and I still have the same problem. MyBB never sends the email verification and I don't get the screen confirming such. It just loads the screen with the header and locks. If I reload the page, it wants to resend the information of course and I get a Captcha error because it's a new session once you reload the page. It will also automatically register and activate the user.

Anyone have any ideas where I might go with this next?

Ok.

I was able to restore from an older backup and got everything back the way that it was before I upgraded to 1.64. I thought that the upgrade to 1.64 was the problem but apparently it's not. I'm still having the same problem, even after I backed up from several days ago. I can't figure this out, unless my registrations have been screwed up for that long. The scary part about this is the only way that I can prevent accounts from being automatically created without any kind of verification is to disable registrations all together.
Why don't you try re-installing MyBB, and restore your SQL database from the backups?
(2011-08-04, 03:13 PM)Peter Chao Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you try re-installing MyBB, and restore your SQL database from the backups?

Well, for some reason when I try and either do an upgrade or a new install, my theme gets all screwed up. How will the SQL backup file work with 1.64? In other words, can I back up 1.63 data and just port it to 1.64 with no issues? What I would do is just make a new DB file and import into that one and change the config.php. If it doesn't work, I'll just change it back.

I seem to have the worst of luck with upgrades. It's actually quite embarrassing because I'm very familiar with these types of procedures since I've been doing it for a living the last 20 years. Blush
You could have just continued the discussion in the other thread rather than opening a new one.

Anyway, can we have the url, I would like to test this and see if I can get to the bottom of it.
(2011-08-04, 09:18 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]You could have just continued the discussion in the other thread rather than opening a new one.

Anyway, can we have the url, I would like to test this and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

I reluctantly started another thread, but thought that it was relevant because the problem that I was having was expanded further than I originally thought. I'll refrain from making multiple posts in the future.

The URL is http://www.groupr1100s.com/forum/ After I restored the forum back to 1.6.3 and placed the database backup from about a week ago everything seems to be working now EXCEPT the registration screen after filling out the registration seems to be missing. You'll get either a blank screen or a timeout error. There is no information for the user telling them what to do next. This happens with email activated accounts or if admin approval is selected. Thanks for taking a look.

Now if I do the upgrade again, how do I ensure that my themes and templates don't get all changed around like they always do? I guess I'm just dumb and can't seem to successfully complete the seemingly painless process that everyone else seems to do.

To rule out plugins as a cause of this issue, please try the following. In ./inc/init.php, find the code:

define("TIME_NOW", time());

After this code, add this:

define("NO_PLUGINS", 1);

Then save and/or reupload this edited version of the file so the forum will run the new code.

EDIT: If you are on MyBB v1.6.4 you can turn off plugins from Admincp >> General configuration >> Disable all plugins

This edit will stop plugins being run when a page on the forum is loaded; it will not edit, delete or reset any content the plugin has added or changed, it will just temporarily stop the plugins being loaded, so some features on your forum may be temporarily missing or broken whilst this code is in place. When you remove this code, plugins will work again exactly as they were before. This change helps us to see if a plugin is the cause of a problem, without you having to manually deactivate every single plugin, which would mean you may lose data from them.

If your issue is fixed when this code is added, then the cause of your issue is a plugin; please post a list of your plugins and we will try and help you find which one it may be. If the problem still happens with this code added, then it is unlikely a plugin is the cause, in which case we will investigate the issue further.

Thank you.
Thanks - G33K - !

I added the code and the registrations are now working properly. So, a plugin is definitely the issue. The strange thing is, on the current working copy I hadn't changed any of the plugins - I suppose one of the plugins just starting acting up for some reason.

Here is a list of the current activated plugins -

Disable portal.php Plugin (1.1)
Disable stats.php Plugin (1.1)
Contact form (0.1)
Fit on Page (2.3) (I'm pretty sure this one is the one causing the problem. LOL)
MyBB GoMobile (1.0 Beta 4)
Google SEO (1.1.13)
Header Announcements (1.0)
Hide Images from Guests (1.0)
Hide Links to Guests (1.0)
Quacktacular Themes (1.0)
reCAPTCHA Plugin (1.4)
Stop forum spam (1.2)
Usermap (1.1.2)

I would starting deactivating things to see what the deal was, but since it's possible that you may know right where to start, I'll wait to hear back form you before I do anything. Thanks again.

EDIT - I also wanted to add that I'm still on 1.6.3 I haven't re-upgraded yet, and do not plan to make another attempt until I can figure out what plugin is causing this.
Since this problem is occurring during registration I would start with the plugins that interact with that part of the site.

Start with recaptcha, then stop forum spam and go from there. Only disable them one at a time so you can get to the bottom of the cause.
Pages: 1 2