MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Gender - LOL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2011-08-09, 08:21 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]I personally applaud the inclusion of the Other option in gender selection. It shows an openness and I'm sure it is appreciated by those who can not identify with either of the Male/Female genders.
Removing this imo would be a step backward.

You're right. It's a step more on the professional side.
(2011-08-09, 08:21 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]I personally applaud the inclusion of the Other option in gender selection. It shows an openness and I'm sure it is appreciated by those who can not identify with either of the Male/Female genders.
Removing this imo would be a step backward.
There's only Male, and Female. It's less professional to have it. Makes it seem like you are insane.
For humans, an androgyne (pronounced /ˈændrədʒaɪn/ an-drə-jyn) in terms of gender identity, is a person who does not fit cleanly into the typical masculine and feminine gender roles of their society. They may also use the term ambigender to describe themselves. Many androgynes identify as being mentally "between" woman and man, or as entirely genderless. They may identify as non-gendered, genderneutral, agendered, between genders, intergendered, pangender or gender fluid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgyny
Also People who never liked their first genes so changed genders....
(2011-08-09, 05:20 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]There's only Male, and Female. It's less professional to have it. Makes it seem like you are insane.
I never knew the MyBB community could be so homophobic, sexist, inconsiderate, and ignorant.

Male
Female
Other

You've covered everyone; you could leave in "Undisclosed", but simply list those three and if the field isn't set, just use Undisclosed.

Undisclosed is for people who don't want their gender shown. What if you're Androgynous and want it to be shown?
(2011-08-10, 01:02 AM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]Undisclosed is for people who don't want their gender shown. What if you're Androgynous and want it to be shown?
I think for the most part that decision should be up to the board administrator as a custom profile field. I'd definitely support a text-box for those that choose Other so a custom gender role can be entered, though.
(2011-08-09, 05:58 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]For humans, an androgyne (pronounced /ˈændrədʒaɪn/ an-drə-jyn) in terms of gender identity, is a person who does not fit cleanly into the typical masculine and feminine gender roles of their society. They may also use the term ambigender to describe themselves. Many androgynes identify as being mentally "between" woman and man, or as entirely genderless. They may identify as non-gendered, genderneutral, agendered, between genders, intergendered, pangender or gender fluid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgyny
Oh. Well then, as long as Mybb isn't just randomly making up "other".

Guess this is okay. Toungue

(2011-08-10, 01:02 AM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]Undisclosed is for people who don't want their gender shown. What if you're Androgynous and want it to be shown?

^This.
They are humans too. So, they deserve a Gender field for them.
Just as G33k said, it would be a Step back if its removed.
(2011-08-13, 05:55 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]

^This.
They are humans too. So, they deserve a Gender field for them.
Just as G33k said, it would be a Step back if its removed.
I apologize, I didn't give clear thought on this. I had the most simple "Male/Female - that's it" thought. Now that I'm reading comments, yeah 'Other' is useful.

Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5