MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My Spam Method
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know a lot of people yell about bad spam systems and how nothing works. My most recent set up works like a charm!! I love it.

First, you need to register at askimet and get an API key.

Secondly, enable the Askimet plugin that comes INSIDE of MyBB!

Then, insert your API key and get everything running.

Fourth, add a new usergroup called "Verified Members" or something like that.

Fifth, open group promotions and add one that will automatically promote users if they have a post count of 10 or greater. Set original group to Members and promotion group to Verified Members.

Finally, go to askimet settings and insert verified members GID in the groups to ignore.

Now to explain, Askimet is one of the best spam systems you can use but unfortunately it bans your regular users for "posting spam" when they were legitimate posts. With this after the user made 10 posts (or more if you changed it) it will automatically ignore that user and they are now "verified". Enjoy.
Great method Jason. Haven't thought about the group ignore feature till now.
(2011-08-22, 04:13 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]Great method Jason. Haven't thought about the group ignore feature till now.

Smile Glad you enjoy.
I do this on my forums too, in addition to other things.
Has anyone also considered disabling "Can View User CP" for members awaiting activation?
What happens if they are banned by Askimet before they reach 10 posts?
(2011-08-22, 05:18 AM)Berlo Wrote: [ -> ]What happens if they are banned by Askimet before they reach 10 posts?

If askimet finds 5 of their posts to be spam (which I doubt all them will detected to be spam) it will ban them. Its not just a 1 and go.
... And if they only make 1/2 posts?
(2011-08-22, 09:05 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]... And if they only make 1/2 posts?

1/2 posts....?
Would be nice if this will be seen in tutorial section Smile thanks.
(2011-08-22, 09:50 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-22, 09:05 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]... And if they only make 1/2 posts?

1/2 posts....?

probably means "1 to 2" posts
Pages: 1 2