MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New users do not get confirmation email.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just installed 1.6.4 and new users can register but they never get a confirmation in email from the site. My forum is at

http://www.futurebeacon.com/forums/

I fixed the problem for one user by going into the control panel and clicking on "Activate User", but I won't always know that somebody is tying to register.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
Are there any errors in Admin CP > Tools & Maintenance > Logs > System Email Log?
(2011-08-26, 04:13 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any errors in Admin CP > Tools & Maintenance > Logs > System Email Log?

The are no errors that I can find in the control panel Tools & Maintenance > Logs > System Mail Log. The Filter System Email Log
contains four empty fields like this:

--------------
Subject contains

Error Message contains

To Address contains

From Address contains

What does it mean?
-------------------

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
Please try the following mail test script: [Wiki: Help:Mail] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

If this test says it could not send the mail, or it said it sent but you did not receive any email, even in your spam/trash folder, then the issue lies with your host. If you receive the email from this test, we will investigate the issue further.
(2011-08-26, 05:20 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Please try the following mail test script: [Wiki: Help:Mail] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

If this test says it could not send the mail, or it said it sent but you did not receive any email, even in your spam/trash folder, then the issue lies with your host. If you receive the email from this test, we will investigate the issue further.

I uploaded this file to my main hosting directory:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1038\cocoasubrtf360
{\fonttbl\f0\froman\fcharset0 TimesNewRomanPSMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\margl1440\margr1440\vieww21600\viewh26200\viewkind0
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\ql\qnatural

\f0\fs48 \cf0 <?php\
error_reporting(E_ALL);\
\
$to = '[email protected]';\
\
if(mail($to, 'Testing mail', 'This is a mailing test to see if PHP mail works.'))\
\{\
echo 'Mail was sent by PHP';\
\}\
else\
\{\
echo 'PHP could not send the mail';\
\}\
?>\
}

I did not get an email message at [email protected] but when I went to http://www.futurebeacon.com/mailtest.php I got this message on my browser screen:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/content/j/i/m/jimadrian/html/mailtest.php on line 8

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/j/i/m/jimadrian/html/mailtest.php on line 9

Did I do it right?

Jim Adrian
No, that is not what you need to paste in the file. This is:

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

$to = '[email protected]';

if(mail($to, 'Testing mail', 'This is a mailing test to see if PHP mail works.'))
{
     echo 'Mail was sent by PHP';
}
else
{
     echo 'PHP could not send the mail';
}
?>
(2011-08-26, 08:48 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]No, that is not what you need to paste in the file. This is:

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

$to = '[email protected]';

if(mail($to, 'Testing mail', 'This is a mailing test to see if PHP mail works.'))
{
     echo 'Mail was sent by PHP';
}
else
{
     echo 'PHP could not send the mail';
}
?>

It worked!

The browser said this:
Mail was sent by PHP

An email message from
[email protected]
said this:
This is a mailing test to see if PHP mail works.

What's next?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian

So, there are no error messages and the PHP mail test worked. I'm not sure what else could be causing this.

Are you sure your users checked their spam / trash folder? It could be there. Also, have you checked this with your web host to see if they have any restrictions in regards to PHP mail?
(2011-08-26, 10:07 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]So, there are no error messages and the PHP mail test worked. I'm not sure what else could be causing this.

Are you sure your users checked their spam / trash folder? It could be there. Also, have you checked this with your web host to see if they have any restrictions in regards to PHP mail?

I don't know why it didn't issue a confirmation email message to me, but my friends have registered without a problem.

It's a mystery.

Thanks for all of you work.

Jim Adrian
As I said, did your users check their spam / trash folder?

You should also get in touch with your web host to see if they have any restrictions with PHP mail.
Pages: 1 2