MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to back-up Minecraft?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I have recently found a bunch of mods for Minecraft that I would like to try, but I don't want to screw up my saved worlds and other mods. Is there a script or something, for Ubuntu, that will let me back up my worlds, current minecraft.jar (or whatever would be affected by plugins), or even the whole folder and save it? Any help would be appreciated, even if it's a list of how to back it up on my own (yes, I have searched)

Thanks,
Stricken
rsync -av /home/username/.minecraft /home/user/.minecraft_backup

Should work.
(2011-08-28, 07:13 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
rsync -av /home/username/.minecraft /home/user/.minecraft_backup

Should work.

For some reason, it "worked". But when I go to the folder, it shows no contents - both as root, normal user, and even running "dir".
use cp -R /home/username/.minecraft /home/user/.minecraft_backup
(2011-08-30, 03:40 AM)swerle Wrote: [ -> ]just look the topic!

What?

(2011-08-28, 09:49 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]use cp -R /home/username/.minecraft /home/user/.minecraft_backup

Thanks, I'll try it Smile
(2011-08-28, 09:49 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]use cp -R /home/username/.minecraft /home/user/.minecraft_backup

I tried this and had the same result as the first suggestion, not sure why. I'm going to end up just copying and pasting the files to back it up, though I would have preferred a terminal way of doing it so I could batch it (or do it every week or something). Thanks anyways, though
Try using sudo then? I had a similiar thing working.
(2011-09-08, 05:11 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Try using sudo then? I had a similiar thing working.

I did. Toungue I tried copying it under sudo, doing "dir" of the save folder under sudo, and I even tried doing sudo nautilus of the folder - still empty.
What version? I'm going to install linux on my gaming machine to find this out!
You're doing this, right?
ls -laR

I'm pretty sure Mincecraft uses hidden files.
Pages: 1 2