MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: >>quick post references
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any chance of this? I would personally like to see it as an option, for simplicities sake; in a lot of cases:

>>102397

Is sufficient rather than:

hurr durr some poster Wrote:i like peas

Obviously doesn't have to be prefixed with >>, but a simple post linking method would be nice, preferably with a post button too.
I like this. I presume it would show the poster's username and link to the post?
It could show the posters name, I like that. And with a link yes. I would just prefer a simpler method for replying to simple posts.
Sounds cool. Perhaps typing >>102397 would quote the post as you would manually do it?
I wholeheartedly agree; while we're at it, we might as well abolish the horrendously verbose and unnecessary BBCode system and implement Markdown as the default parser.
Markdown seems pretty cool. I'd have to play with it a bit to see if I like it or not before reaching a conclusion, but it seems simpler.

@favious, you mean it would replace >>9001 with the post itself, like a variable (in a quote box though)? Might be cool, but a simple link would keep it neater imo.
Yes, for example, typing >>751637 would result in this:

(2011-09-04, 05:19 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Markdown seems pretty cool. I'd have to play with it a bit to see if I like it or not before reaching a conclusion, but it seems simpler.

@favious, you mean it would replace >>9001 with the post itself, like a variable (in a quote box though)? Might be cool, but a simple link would keep it neater imo.

Markdown isn't exactly popular in forums, so I can see why bbCode should be used.
One primary problem of markdown is that it's somewhat easy to parse the "wrong" things at times.

As for the references suggestion, unfortunately 'pid' doesn't make a lot of sense to many users, and really, you need to at least hover your mouse over the post link to see what the pid is. Really, the quick quote button is suffice IMO - doesn't take that much more effort, is a lot more intuitive to users, gives the poster more control and won't be subject to accidental use of the ">>" operator.
(2011-09-04, 10:24 PM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]Markdown isn't exactly popular in forums, so I can see why bbCode should be used.
One primary problem of markdown is that it's somewhat easy to parse the "wrong" things at times.
I've never had an issue with parsing the "wrong" things at times; what exactly do you mean by that? Also, something not being popular is a horrible excuse to not implement it if it's far superior.
Simple solution would be to just auto collapse all comments with an expander toggle, I think.
Pages: 1 2