MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Another Hack Attempt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
zabava Wrote:Every hacker knowes how to check the forum version. You are using the latest 1.1.5

[Image: v1157si.gif]

So I realy don't see the reason to hide the version on the bottom of the board.

It's removed in 1.2. And all admins should change the admin directory.
That's good news.
Change the admin directory? That's a good idea. Is that an easy edit?
As easy as renaming the admin folder and updating the value of $config['admindir'] in inc/config.php to point to the new directory. Wink
Thanks! Big Grin I'll be sure to do that, then.

EDIT: Yes, that WAS easy! You're right! Everyone should do it. Would definitely make it hard on those dang sh***y hackers, if the admin panel were harder to find!
judel Wrote:Thanks! Big Grin I'll be sure to do that, then.

EDIT: Yes, that WAS easy! You're right! Everyone should do it. Would definitely make it hard on those dang sh***y hackers, if the admin panel were harder to find!
Are you honestly believing that having no info on what version of MyBB you run will affect hackers action? I seriously doubt it. I am sure they will try to hack you no matter what (and especially because they don't know what version you run, so they will take a chance). I actually find that having version number might prevent the hacking if the potential hacker knows the version is immune

I think what important, is to work on securities issues whenever they rise and less worry about version display. That's plain lame!

EB
No, but they try to access using the admin sign on, don't they? If you change where it is, they might have a harder time finding it.
judel Wrote:No, but they try to access using the admin sign on, don't they? If you change where it is, they might have a harder time finding it.
Changing admin directory has nothing to do with version of the MyBB software. I was only discussing the issue of version of software displayed.

EB
Well, I was listening to the advice given by Dennis and MusicalMidget! Another member mentioned that he didn't put his version number on his forum, and it was brought up that you could see it on the admin page...which brought us to the conclusion that the admin folder should be renamed, thereby hiding it from anyone that might find it useful!
judel Wrote:which brought us to the conclusion that the admin folder should be renamed, thereby hiding it from anyone that might find it useful!
I understand your point, yet I will stay behind what I've said!

EB
Pages: 1 2 3