MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Another Hack Attempt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm sorry! I guess I just miss your point!
zabava Wrote:Every hacker knowes how to check the forum version. You are using the latest 1.1.5

[Image: v1157si.gif]

So I realy don't see the reason to hide the version on the bottom of the board.

You missed the point there.. How do you think so many phpBB forums were hacked when they had that hightlight/urldecode vulnerability? It wasn't mostly by serious hackers, neither script kiddies targetting a specific forum. They were rather done by script kiddie's bot scripts querying google for powered by phpbb x.xx or they manually did a google search for that.

The admin directory isn't included in search results so you're safe even if you have it there. If there's a serious hacker, he would try anything, without needing to know your forum version number, but many are script kiddies landing through google.
Then everyone needs to add a robots.txt to their directory, keeping the google bots out of their forum! That would certainly lower their chances of being found that way!

It's also possible that hackers are finding you guys through this forum...which is why I decided to remove my website from my siggie. I don't want one of those idiots following my url and trying to hack me!!!
Quote:Then everyone needs to add a robots.txt to their directory, keeping the google bots out of their forum! That would certainly lower their chances of being found that way!
yeah, but many hackers target a specific version when searching via google, so you would be ok by just removing the version number in footer. But it's definitely not a good idea to completely go off the search engines unless you get traffic from other sources or it's a private school/college/friends forum.
Well, for those of us that get traffic from our main sites, it would be a good idea, since you can keep the bots out of specific directories, i.e. the forum. I would rather my visitors come through my main site anyway, and not from a random search for a mybb forum. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3