MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: why choose mybb and not phpbb or smf?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
MyBB is an apple. Apples are nice. The others are oranges. They squirt juice in your eyes Toungue
(2011-09-11, 06:43 PM)Anurag M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-11, 04:01 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]PHPBB is garbage. Don't even consider it.
Agreed!
Well I think you can definitely choose mybb. Its easier to use, easily customizable. Well I can't even think of another forum soft because I am kinda addicted to mybb.. Wink

i dont know of phpbb is garbage ?

but i need to agree with y mybb is a nice and clean form script
it looks good and work good im checking the demo out
and ofcours this form

It's coded very oddly, instead of having a hook system by default (at least last time i checked) it doesn't. Themes are a pain to edit and do, and it's just ugly :p.
PhpBB: theming is a pain, mods require manual editing of files, if you remove a mod bits of code sometimes get left over and it sucks. Then the fact it was coded by what seems to be a baboon.

SMF: not really had much to do with it, but I know it took them a LONG time tiger a half decent product out. Also, it contains tue word "simple" Confused

MyBB: well coded plugin system with plenty of plugins (if you can't find what you're looking for there are plenty of developers who make free plugins so ask them), plenty of themes and easy to modify, we have a nice (IMHO) community with great support staff too Smile
AFAIK phpBB isn't even object orientated. I've seen part of the code, and I was horrified.

They don't even use number_format(), which makes reading statistics impossible.

It's the most spammed forum software out there, plus very buggy.
Probably wasn't such a good idea to ask whether to choose MyBB, phpBB or SMF on the official MyBB forums.

You'll be hearing different if you asked in the SMF forums, or the phpbb official forums.

In the end it's your choice.
(2011-09-11, 08:49 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]It's coded very oddly, instead of having a hook system by default (at least last time i checked) it doesn't. Themes are a pain to edit and do, and it's just ugly :p.

Not to be rude or anything, but have you even used phpBB? The skinning system it features is pretty streamlined. Likewise, its polish is in the eyes of the beholder.

(2011-09-11, 09:13 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]PhpBB: theming is a pain, mods require manual editing of files, if you remove a mod bits of code sometimes get left over and it sucks. Then the fact it was coded by what seems to be a baboon.

Remember that SMF as well as this platform, MyBB, require some form of manually editing files. Whether or not they're minimalistic.

(2011-09-11, 09:13 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]SMF: not really had much to do with it, but I know it took them a LONG time tiger a half decent product out. Also, it contains tue word "simple" Confused

The term "Simple" was used because the system is "simple". I don't see how that point is evident.

(2011-09-11, 09:13 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB: well coded plugin system with plenty of plugins (if you can't find what you're looking for there are plenty of developers who make free plugins so ask them), plenty of themes and easy to modify, we have a nice (IMHO) community with great support staff too Smile

The same could be said for the others, such as SMF and phpBB. Again, it's your opinion.

(2011-09-11, 09:58 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]AFAIK phpBB isn't even object orientated. I've seen part of the code, and I was horrified.

MyBB is not either? SMF isn't either? None of the platforms are object orientated, everything is procedural, unless I'm missing something?

(2011-09-11, 09:13 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]They don't even use number_format(), which makes reading statistics impossible.

Not really sure what this means, but all of these forum packages utilize that function, especially SMF.

(2011-09-11, 09:13 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]It's the most spammed forum software out there, plus very buggy.

It's the most spammed because it's the most popular. I mean, any software can be cracked and exploited enough that even trained developers can't tackle on everything at once.
(2011-09-12, 03:44 AM)Masayoshi Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is not either? SMF isn't either? None of the platforms are object orientated, everything is procedural, unless I'm missing something?

MyBB most certainly is object orientated.

$mybb = new MyBB;

echo $mybb->user['username'];

(2011-09-12, 03:44 AM)Masayoshi Wrote: [ -> ]Not really sure what this means, but all of these forum packages utilize that function, especially SMF.

For example:

MyBB - 1,387,941 Posts
phpBB - 1387941 Posts

(2011-09-12, 03:44 AM)Masayoshi Wrote: [ -> ]It's the most spammed because it's the most popular.

That's debatable.
Ah, you're right, it is object orientated.

I suppose it is debatable, but that's the commonplace in today's world from what I've been reading around.
Quote:Remember that SMF as well as this platform, MyBB, require some form of manually editing files. Whether or not they're minimalistic.

Say what?

I've authored a good many plugins and only one, yes ONE, required me to add any code to core files. Know what that code was? A single new plugin hook. A plugin hook I've requested be added to the core because it was a place where we were still missing one.

In general, with 1.6 series, you shouldn't need any core file edits to achieve what you want with the exception of the Google SEO plugin.
Pages: 1 2 3 4