MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Calendar notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi!

To give utility to the mybb default calendar, I think is necessary to use notifications.

For example, in the welcome block, a text who says: (1) coming events, or simply (1) event.
Or at the bottom table, down of "forum statistics", a new table who says: "coming events".
Or pm to specific groups when the event is upcoming...
IMO the calender needs a lot of work. :/
IMO it could be removed from core. While I can see it having many possible uses most forums don't use it.
(2011-09-13, 10:18 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]IMO it could be removed from core. While I can see it having many possible uses most forums don't use it.

Quite true, but at the same point, it's a great entry point for social networking integration.
I think the calendar should have been gone a long time ago personally. I can only recall ever using it a handful of times over all the forums I've visited. I don't think it's useless but if it was offered as a plugin I would be satisfied.
I agree that the calendar does not serve as something that enhances the forum experience and shouldn't really be core.
^ Is there anything you think should be core?

Many forums have events and the calendar could be quite useful if it actually was developed. You should be able to RSVP to events and have events act as threads. Sites like worldbeyblade.org would find this infinitely useful.
(2011-09-19, 07:52 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]^ Is there anything you think should be core?
A well-working forum.

I've never once used the calendar on any forum I've ever been a part of. It's just not that useful when the main focus of a community is to have discussions. If it was actually tied into the main workings of the software instead of being a basic page I would probably support it being core.
(2011-09-19, 07:52 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Many forums have events and the calendar could be quite useful if it actually was developed. You should be able to RSVP to events and have events act as threads. Sites like worldbeyblade.org would find this infinitely useful.

I agree, but that is more the basis for a plugin rather than a core feature. Events acting as threads digresses enough from the core forum concept to have it as a plugin.

As Steven points out, the current calendar feature is essentially completely separate from the main workings of the software and because of this it is more like a plugin.
Then maybe the goal is to improve the calendar and integrate it better into the forum software rather than axe it entirely?
Pages: 1 2 3