MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How much would you pay...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The 2 I've made I did in an hour, and for a start I'm a bespoke designer for my day job, and people have no problem paying what they do for a full site.

I don't tend to do templates.

And I didn't ask for YOUR opinion on my work. The only thing I left open for constructive criticism was the Vista skin. The skin on my RPG board was not up for discussion.

I have never had a single complaint about my work and all of my clients have returned to me time and time again for further work.

Templating is a new thing for me.

$30-40 should be the most someone should pay for a template, but if they want to buy one outright, then charge whatever the creator feels they should charge.
Quote:And I didn't ask for YOUR opinion on my work. The only thing I left open for constructive criticism was the Vista skin. The skin on my RPG board was not up for discussion.
I think everything you put on the internet is open for criticism...its called "Free Speech".

You can pay someone $100+ for a template, but there are people out there who will do it for free, especially when MyBB is a free product.
Well, I for one wouldn't pay anyone for a theme, not when you can either create one yourself or download any of the amazing ones that are offered on this site! Definitely not worth arguing about, that's for sure! Big Grin
I don't pay for templates either only because I can create my own. But as I stated...that's not everyone. Your OPINION that $30-$40 max is what someone should pay is downright insulting to your own profession which you claim is "designer"...personally I don't believe you. I looked up what a bespoke designer is and apparently it has to do with clothes. Sorry but that doesn't relate to the web which is a specialized field that required technical expertise that most simply do not have.

Cheap designers get $10-$20 an hour...great designers can get $100+. A solid unique template should take 4-20 hours to create depending on the subject matter and request of client.

Since you opened up the matter of your Vista Skin..
http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=preview6ll.jpg

Yeah it's not too bad and heck I might pay $10-$20 for that as a skin but it really isn't all that technical or different than the regular mybb. I would say it makes for a good free skin.

I think you misjudge the difference from a free skin that requires a couple hours of work and a highly original technical skin with solid template changes. Let's use yaxay.com as an example. I bet they paid $1k+ for that skin. Do you honestly think it's a $40 skin? It's original, technical, and unique to the site. While it's not mybb it's a good example of a skin worth plenty more than $40.

This whole topic was about selling UNIQUE PROFESSIONAL skins. In the first post he gave example of places that sell template all day long for $25-$40 but those are NOT UNIQUE and resold again and again.

Here is the best skinner that I know of.
http://iamvica.com/

I was quoted from them once at $300-$500 for a job.

Sorry but I am right and believe I have proven it. Your claims have no basis in reality protoman.

Quote:Templating is a new thing for me.

If this is so new to you then maybe you should listen to someone who's been doing this for 10+ years.

why pay when you can make your own, or if your not lazy, learn to make your own, theres not alot to making some images and replacing them,aslong as you know imagry.
willow Wrote:why pay when you can make your own, or if your not lazy, learn to make your own, theres not alot to making some images and replacing them,aslong as you know imagry.

Well you might want to pay to have one made if your forums is something that can make a lot of money and be a big community. Not everyone has the time to learn to make a skin simply for one site.

And do you honestly think you could make a skin of this quality?

http://www.iamvica.com/services/view.php...ajesty&v=1

And sorry but not all skins simply replace images and change css. Some require actual xhtml changes to the templates.

Hey...I am all for doing it yourself but again...that's NOT what the OP is asking. He wants to know if it's viable for him to sell skins and for how much. The answer is YES it is viable as others have successfully done so. As for how much ...well he can compare his work against competition and try to get top dollar accordingly. If his work is quality he can sell it at place like Sitepoint for a pretty penny. Places like sitepoint have skins often sell for $100+ range.

Are you guys just voicing opinions or do you really think you know what you are talking about?
Bespoke Webdesign Labrocca.

And it doesn't just relate to clothing.

I'm primarily a Software Developer, and if you like, the company I work for is actually a very small one here in the UK, called The Blue Fish Company Limited.

labrocca Wrote:And sorry but not all skins simply replace images and change css. Some require actual xhtml changes to the templates.

Very true, some people even tend to mess around with DHTML for somethings too.

Oh and the Vista skin I released was intended to be free as it was my first full one.

Also, on the topic of freelancing, as I have a day job, I choose not to charge high prices.
Protoman Wrote:Also, on the topic of freelancing, as I have a day job, I choose not to charge high prices.

For some people like myself this is my day job. I gotta earn enough on the web to support my wife and 4 kids. Keep in mind your situation doesn't apply to everyone. While you may be learning and charging a low-rate...others are pros and do this full time. Their pay needs to reflect that. I live in an expensive city..I gotta earn 6 figures a year.
Pages: 1 2 3