MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2 Letter Domain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Be cautious. I had a 2 character domain (4 with extension) and the ccTLD provider raised the prices on eNom causing eNom to raise my prices. Originally I had paid $57.76 for the domain (2 years minimum required), 9 months later I received an e-mail from my registrar with my renewal price for the domain $1363.30! Needless to say I couldn't continue using the domain so I had to redirect all traffic to a new domain and let that one expire.
(2011-10-12, 08:37 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Be cautious. I had a 2 character domain (4 with extension) and the ccTLD provider raised the prices on eNom causing eNom to raise my prices. Originally I had paid $57.76 for the domain (2 years minimum required), 9 months later I received an e-mail from my registrar with my renewal price for the domain $1363.30! Needless to say I couldn't continue using the domain so I had to redirect all traffic to a new domain and let that one expire.

Are they actually allowed to do that ?
(2011-10-12, 08:37 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Be cautious. I had a 2 character domain (4 with extension) and the ccTLD provider raised the prices on eNom causing eNom to raise my prices. Originally I had paid $57.76 for the domain (2 years minimum required), 9 months later I received an e-mail from my registrar with my renewal price for the domain $1363.30! Needless to say I couldn't continue using the domain so I had to redirect all traffic to a new domain and let that one expire.

Surely you could've at least sold it for that much.
(2011-10-12, 02:08 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]Are they actually allowed to do that ?

You really don't "own" a domain, so they can as far as I know.
It's very unlikely you'll have the luck of finding an unregistered two letter domain. Most of them are acquired from the domain owners.
(2011-10-06, 05:28 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]Nice domain you got there, I am looking to buy two and three lettered since some time but couldn't find any available ones that aren't already registered.

Quote:It's very unlikely you'll have the luck of finding an unregistered two letter domain. Most of them are acquired from the domain owners.
True, so best part is to try luck in buying from someone, but it could be messy and risky, 3 lettered are also good ones.
(2011-10-13, 05:16 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:It's very unlikely you'll have the luck of finding an unregistered two letter domain. Most of them are acquired from the domain owners.
True, so best part is to try luck in buying from someone, but it could be messy and risky, 3 lettered are also good ones.

You still don't own the domain. IIRC it's similiar to windows. You don't own it, you rent it from whoever. (In this case ICANN)

Don't quote me on this, this is from memory and hersey Toungue I didn't research it. (Except for the MS part, i know that.)
Ha ha, what you're saying is right. We never fully own a domain, and thus, there are renewals every year, which proves we are renting them.
(2011-10-13, 06:50 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha, what you're saying is right. We never fully own a domain, and thus, there are renewals every year, which proves we are renting them.

Right i guess that does make sense. I need to find where ICANN says this for reference.
I'm aware (and yes you're correct), I guess renters would have been the better choice of words but it just doesn't... flow?
(2011-10-13, 06:48 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-13, 05:16 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]

You still don't own the domain. IIRC it's similiar to windows. You don't own it, you rent it from whoever. (In this case ICANN)

Don't quote me on this, this is from memory and hersey Toungue I didn't research it. (Except for the MS part, i know that.)

Pages: 1 2 3