MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop making plugins that are simple template edits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
We are all conscious of your forums/site's performance and user experience. if not, you should be.

On that note, I would like to suggest that those of you making simple plugins that are more easily and efficiently implemented as basic template edits stop releasing such plugins.

Plugins use resources and waste time running hooks and add to memory usage with all the global variables and other items required for processing your template updates.

If you have such a need to release a plugin that is a basic template edit, just add a User Submitted Tutorial where you indicate the basic edits are needed.

I am not taking about plugins that need user or group permissions, etc. or have dynamic content. Just the ones that add a globally applicable static template content that I am talking about. I won't specify specific plugins, but it seems like everyone wants a plugin to do the simplest of mods. The ACP is very powerful, make use of it.

/rant
Some people prefer plugins like this. People that run MyBB freehosts that want to restrict the template system, this is very useful.
if they really want to restrict the template system, then they need to disallow plugins, because I could write a plugin to modify any portion of the template.
(2011-10-07, 05:48 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]if they really want to restrict the template system, then they need to disallow plugins, because I could write a plugin to modify any portion of the template.

I mean like Multihosts. You only have access to the plugins given.
Well, somewhere you're right, but somewhere, I look for the ease of users. Whenever at first, I used to submit tuts related to template edits and all that, the very first questions that user asked were like, "Oh wow, but can you make a plugin for this? Much easier for me if you could make plugin".

Due to many such negligence, sometimes I code them, at the end of the day, its their wish, whether to use it as a plugin or do template edits not being noobs and sitting on a orange chair.
Many people don't like tweaking the "messy" code, and for a lot of users plugins are just a better option in their opinion. They don't care about DB queries until it starts hurting them.
Quote:Many people don't like tweaking the "messy" code, and for a lot of users plugins are just a better option in their opinion. They don't care about DB queries until it starts hurting them.

Yes exactly pavemans point, when it does "start hurting them" they come complaining to mybb about their lack of performance. Not realizing that they have a bunch of unnecessary plugins installed.
Yeah. I think a good example of those stupid plugins are the ones that add Facebook Like buttons and Google +1 buttons. It's so not worth the extra query. I remember when I came to my senses when I used MyBB on my main forum I went into a cleaning frenzy and cut my DB queries in half.
(2011-10-07, 07:20 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. I think a good example of those stupid plugins are the ones that add Facebook Like buttons and Google +1 buttons.
It doesn't eat shitload of CPU as to what extent you're thinking, they require very less resources unless your host is bully.

I have submitted two plugins that are almost insignificant even for me, I don't even use them and there are already tutorials for they, I just send them because of learning and the second because it was a little useful imo.

And I agree that the Tutorials and Resources sections must be used more often, they are there for some reason.

Although it is a user decision to use or not the plugins...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6