MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [WIP] [On Mods Site] Post Via Email Beta Version 0.5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://mods.mybb.com/view/post-via-email

What?

Post Via Email allows members to post to your forum via email.

Installation?

To use PostViaEmail, upload the files in the Upload directory to your forum root.

Go to your ACP. Go to plugins, find Post Via Email, and click "Activate".

Go to Settings. Click on Post Via Email settings.

Enter in your email information. Most email providers will tell you this in their help docs. Some email providers, such as Yahoo!, do not allow IMAP access. Gmail is one that does, and it works very well with this plugin. It is recommended the email you use is used ONLY for posting to, and nothing else.

Save the settings.

The plugin by default checks for new email every hour. To change this, you can go to ACP>Tools & Maintenance>Task Manager and click "Post Via Email". There you can define when the script runs.

Now that you've set it up, here's some more technical stuff.

The script takes around several seconds to run. It is advised not to run it every minute.

Current Features
Specify forum to post in
To make a thread in a forum that is not the one you specified in the Settings, add this anywhere in your message:

[fid]*fid number*[/fid]
-or-
[fname]Forum Name[/fname]

These MyCodes are automatically deleted from the message. If the specified fid or forum does not exist, it will create the thread in the default forum.

Future Features

Proposed, in development
Proposed, not in development

-None ATM-

Please review the plugin.
awesome, can you put screnshoots?
" Post Via Email allows members to post to your forum via email "
^ not tested yet ; BUT how ? do the members have to mail the post to admin's specific mail ID ?

does the plugin system get user name from the senders' mail ID ? OR is the post made with admin id
Aha. I remember I privately requested this elsewhere for a FOSS community. I'll be sure to forward this to them after, maybe it will be the switching point.
Pretty neat idea. Thanks.
(2011-10-16, 08:12 AM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]" Post Via Email allows members to post to your forum via email "
^ not tested yet ; BUT how ? do the members have to mail the post to admin's specific mail ID ?

does the plugin system get user name from the senders' mail ID ? OR is the post made with admin id

You, the admin, need to make an email account for them to send it to, then put the details of the account in the settings.

The script grabs the "From:" email address and matches it up to the matching user in the database. If the email is not attached to a user in the DB the email is discarded.
Bump, anyone able to test this or have an ideas?
Make it an option to allow guest posts via e-mail. Also, does this use correct forum permissions, so it won't allow someone to post in an announcements board without the permissions to?
And so how will a user be able to get a list of forum IDs? I know you can do it by hovering over it normally, but what if Google SEO is installed and the URL does not contain the FID?
You also can post the forum name. If anyone has any ideas on how to better select what forum it should be posted in let me know.
Pages: 1 2