MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: alerts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2011-10-19, 09:55 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-19, 09:54 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]It it only checks on page loads doesn't that defeat the purpose? And, if you're clicking a button you could just refresh...

Nope. It gives users a way to check their subscribed threads and such without visiting the usercp. Much quicker imo.
And it appeals to users.

yeah thats the main purpose.even it can handle pm,profile comments,activity related alerts too.
Sorry for bumping this.

Are we gonna have this ? I just love that feature Big Grin
+1 for this idea. If we are going to leave every feature only because they add additional queries, there is no point in developing a new version.
I would love to have such a feature, but don't know if it should be core.
// begin rant
MyBB was developed several years ago. Cell phones were starting to get a grip on the public. Texting wasn't nearly as popular yet, Twitter nonexistent. Email was relatively new, so was Facebook.

Today, we are in 2012. People are used to instant notifications. They want commenting, they want instant alerts, they want some social-networking-like features on the websites they visit (hopefully) daily.

It is time for MyBB to modernize. If every suggested feature is "better as a plugin", then why the heck have 2.0. Why not just 1.10, 1.12, 1.14. After all, it's good enough. It inches past standards. No leaping past expectations, just inching, if even passing.

// end rant
(2012-04-08, 05:41 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB was developed several years ago. Cell phones were starting to get a grip on the public. Texting wasn't nearly as popular yet, Twitter nonexistent. Email was relatively new, so was Facebook.

Today, we are in 2012. People are used to instant notifications. They want commenting, they want instant alerts, they want some social-networking-like features on the websites they visit (hopefully) daily.

It is time for MyBB to modernize. If every suggested feature is "better as a plugin", then why the heck have 2.0. Why not just 1.10, 1.12, 1.14. After all, it's good enough. It inches past standards. No leaping past expectations, just inching, if even passing.

Thanks, now we go to scoutie for the weather.
(2012-04-08, 05:50 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-08, 05:41 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB was developed several years ago. Cell phones were starting to get a grip on the public. Texting wasn't nearly as popular yet, Twitter nonexistent. Email was relatively new, so was Facebook.

Thanks, now we go to scoutie for the weather.
xD
I honestly think this should be implemented.
Then there should be a plugin for ajax notifications that auto-refresh ( I know there's a PM ajax alert plugin today ) and they are warned it uses more bandwith. But most hosts now a days are unlimited bandwidth (atleast mine).
(2012-04-09, 04:53 AM)fap Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly think this should be implemented.
Then there should be a plugin for ajax notifications that auto-refresh ( I know there's a PM ajax alert plugin today ) and they are warned it uses more bandwith. But most hosts now a days are unlimited bandwidth (atleast mine).

You know that's not REALLY unlimited, right?
And FYI, my host, among many others, gives finite resources.
Hawkhost - Finite
SpeedySparrow (mine) - Finite
ASmallOrange - Finite
There are more, I just don't have a list of 100s of hosts.
Do you have an UNLIMITED hard drive in your computer? Nor does your host. They will suspend you if you exceed limits usually hidden in an AUP, TOS, or other agreement.
Alerts and warn can be easy implemented in editor like button for admins and mods
Pages: 1 2 3 4