MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do I need cPanel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2011-10-26, 11:20 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-26, 03:46 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Get Webmin.

Your fine.

(2011-10-26, 03:51 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Webmin should suffice.

Webmin seems to be a vps management software. Correct?

It's the same thing CPanel is. Just with more features, and a lot less head-weight. If you can install LAMP and webmin, you are set really.
I hate webmin! I find it easier to manage things through the cli than how they have it set up.
(2011-10-26, 03:20 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I hate webmin! I find it easier to manage things through the cli than how they have it set up.

Have you tried the other themes? It's hard to get used to from DA or Cpanel, but really it's a simple after you get used to it.
No Toungue. I gave up on it pretty quickly honestly Big Grin.

Kind of glad though as I've learned a lot from it doing so.
Bear in mind, to take advantage of MySQL 5.5 don't use cPanel. It doesn't support it, but there's a release coming shortly which does.
(2011-10-26, 11:20 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-26, 03:46 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Get Webmin.

Your fine.

(2011-10-26, 03:51 AM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Webmin should suffice.

Webmin seems to be a vps management software. Correct?

Yes, There are 3 parts to webmin, VirtualMin, Webmin and usermin. VirtualMin is the VPS management arm of webmin, it allows you to manage multiple (or a single) VPS's creating accounts accross them. It allows you to run a webhost basically. Webmin is like cPanel mixed with WHM. Basically, you create accounts for people on that (so creating yourself an account). Usermin is webmin, but form a single user's point of view. Usermin is the one you'll see most, managing MySQL databases and such from within it Smile It's like the normal cPanel interface.

VirtualMin + Webmin = WHM
Usermin = cPanel
I use Direct Admin. Does what I need as I don't have the skill or bravery to try and install everything myself.
(2011-10-28, 04:46 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I use Direct Admin. Does what I need as I don't have the skill or bravery to try and install everything myself.

Curiously Matt, is this on your personal servers or your other servers?
You can run it just fine without cPanel. Shoot me a PM and i'll help you get it setup. I've done this for quite afew servers before :p
I do recommend Direct Admin if you're looking for a Webmin alternative, but not cPanel. The licenses are cheaper and some hosts install it for free cheap Smile

It does everything you'll ever need, and I love it Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4