MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how much traffic can a mybb handle on shared hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
lets say you have a forum that has at least 60-100 members on. Would it be stable on shared hosting.Stable meaning fast response time etc.
Depends more on the server it's on, how many websites are on that server, etc.
You can't expect to receive a direct answer if you provide vague details.
I have the top shared plan with GeekStorage, a step down from their lowest VPS plan, but no active site yet. I can only hope this would be enough to handle 60 to 100 online members. I doubt many with a shared plan (on average) would keep up.
(2011-10-30, 12:52 AM)akito tenkawa Wrote: [ -> ]lets say you have a forum that has at least 60-100 members on. Would it be stable on shared hosting.Stable meaning fast response time etc.

It all depends on the web host/server like Richard said. The size of the plan has no impact on the performance since 99.99% of hosts will mix all of their hosting plans on the same server.
60-100 members? With ease. I've a site in past that had 10K+ members & 20K posts which was running nicely.
I agree on the 99.99%. My backup strategy with GeekStorage is to buy a lower plan and compare the two if my current plan seems to be shorting me.
(2011-10-30, 06:08 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]It all depends on the web host/server like Richard said. The size of the plan has no impact on the performance since 99.99% of hosts will mix all of their hosting plans on the same server.

Right, but that's 60-100 members online. How many members do you have online, and who's your shared hosting with?
(2011-10-30, 06:20 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]60-100 members? With ease. I've a site in past that had 10K+ members & 20K posts which was running nicely.

This isn't a question anyone can really answer. Some shared hosts can cope with hundreds of people, some can't cope with any because they're so oversold and poorly setup. If you use a decent host, you'll be fine, if you use a crap one, you won't. It's as simple as that.
Thats like asking, "how many eggs can a basket hold", it depends entirely on the host, on their server setup, on their infrastucture etc...
You never know how many sites host on that shared-server!
And you just sit down, see your online member comparing with server load --> Can Not 100% correlated!!
You will stuck and false think, forever. Move from one host to another. Even a shared-hosting claimed with 4-8 CPU's and huge memory.

I've seen 500 members online with 250,000 posts from shared-hosting with load less than 2.0, still running good. Until they kick-you out from their servers with bad reason "MyBB isn't good forum software and bla-bla-bla..."

And I've seen 500 members online with 1,000,000 post from VPS server with load less than 1.5
Also 750 members online with 1,500.000 posts with load less than 1.
Depend on how many plugins installed.

Wink
Depends on the host you're with and their setup. Where is your site hosted? Traffic is not much of an issue when it comes to shared hosting but concurrent users does. Far more limited compared to a VPS.
Pages: 1 2