MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Activity feed like in vanilla
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
YES YES YES!
(2011-12-12, 03:16 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]I actually started on something similar a while ago, although it's not complete. Should I finish it? O.o

Yes! DO IT!!!
http://vanillaforums.org/activity

Looking at this page it just appears to be a cool factor with little actual function to increase performance or usability of the website. IMHO the cool factor is not enough to make it a core feature.

Every core feature requires time to code and debug. Do we really want to waste that time and effort on something seemingly trivial?
I certainly am not much fan of this thing, but I'd suggest better don't add this as core, it'd be very troublesome and much load giving for those who don't want this.

Even if it'd be set to no, there'd be enabled or disabled checks every time which'd cause high server load, queries and all. I'd suggest this as plugin for those who want, I certainly wouldn't want this as a core.
The notification system seems pretty handy at times. Could be used for short notices hinting to subscribtions, new pm's, friend requests, board updates hinting to detailed topics, notices for moderators, they could be contained in one little notice system, more organized... these twitter-style updates are popular with the users.

IPB implemented something similar, you can view the last X notices by clicking on your name and then you have a link to a full notice log.

Dunno about the over load.
Personally I was never a fan of Vanilla. I would rather this be a plugin, not core, because the extra load just is not necessary.

Plus, this is not a social network. Not Facebook, twitter, etc. It is a forum. You don't need to know who subscribed to X thread.
(2011-12-13, 01:24 AM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I was never a fan of Vanilla. I would rather this be a plugin, not core, because the extra load just is not necessary.

Plus, this is not a social network. Not Facebook, twitter, etc. It is a forum. You don't need to know who subscribed to X thread.

I am refering to new replies in subscribed threads Smile
i have a few ideas of how to make this a cool plugin. i'll see if i can find some time for it.
For the record: I am refering to a *private* notice system relevant for the user, not the general one that Vanilla uses and shows actions from all users publicly.
This is just bells and whistle that will rarely get used by the majority of users... much better as a plugin.

On a side note it would be cool if there were "offical" plugins that were supported and developed by the mybb team.
Pages: 1 2 3 4