MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyone NOT planning to upgrade to 1.6.5?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My forum is heavily modified with custom theme tweaks and many plugins. I don't think I will be upgrading to 1.6.5 anytime soon in order to preserve the site design. I can live with the way it is at least until 2.0 comes out. Then maybe a complete redesign will be in order.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I just wanted to leave some feedback. Is anyone else feeling the same way as me?
It's highly recommended to to upgrade to the latest version. There were quite a few significant security issues found in the last few versions.

Plugins are very easy to upgrade - they only require a few characters of code to be added. As for themes, well you can use the Diff tool to check your templates against the latest sets. From there you can apply the changes.

Plus you receive the latest features that have been added along with performance/bug fixes.

+1 You must upgrade as soon as possible.
me on the list Smile
1605 has given me more work Sad
1) the upgrade should not effect theme/templates
2) i have posted a script to update all the plugins on a site that are impacted by the 1.6.5 changes
3) the captcha change is simple if you are already using the recaptcha plugin. uninstall it, remove files, enable built-in recaptcha using the same api info form the plugin.
4) if you have been using Patches to track your edits, putting them back is only a matter of a few clicks
You probably won't like me very much. I'm increasing the speed of which 1.6 releases are available to the public. The reason being there is a backlog of bugs that need fixed and I need to be working on 2.0.

If you want to stay on software that still has over 100 bugs in it, feel free. Keeping up to date with theme changes is easy - and if you modify core files, I suggest taking a look at Patches so it's easier to make those changes again after each upgrade.

There will be no more 'massive' changes to 1.6 like there has been in .4/.5.

Someone explain the reference to "Patches" please...
This makes me feel more confident in upgrading...especially what Paveman posted! But I am just a little scared to do it as I finally have my forum customized the way I want it and the way my members expect it to be. I can't afford to lose any functionality. It's not like I don't want or like new features...I just wish that major issues wouldn't arise with upgrades.
Patches is a plugin available on the Mods site, just search for it.
(2011-11-29, 09:45 PM)RocketFoot Wrote: [ -> ]This makes me feel more confident in upgrading...especially what Paveman posted! But I am just a little scared to do it as I finally have my forum customized the way I want it and the way my members expect it to be. I can't afford to lose any functionality. It's not like I don't want or like new features...I just wish that major issues wouldn't arise with upgrades.

that is what a DB and file backup is for!
Pages: 1 2 3