MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration problem - MyBB rejects everyone as spammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I tried to find this topic through the MyBB forum search, but nothing came up.

The forum I am running has registered nearly 500 people just fine. Suddenly, it is rejecting everyone. It doesn't matter what username, e-mail, or IP is used.

I am getting this error, which is referenced in the member.lang.php file:
language file field name: error_spam_deny
message: Our systems detect that you may be a spammer and therefore you have been denied registration. If you feel this is a mistake, please contact the Administrator.

What is causing this error to happen? All I did is install the honeypot captcha plugin between the time it worked, and now. Since then I deleted the captcha plugin thinking that was the culprit. But registrations are still being denied.

Me, as well as a handful of other users from around the world so far, have connected to the forum, agreed to the terms, and then started to fill out the forum application, including properly identifying MyBB's captcha values. All of that works. But when I or any other user hits "Submit" to send the registration form, the error immediately follows on its own page.

When I did some checking, these are the facts:
1. I can log in to my normal account, so no IP filtering is happening
2. However, whether I make a new account with the same IP or totally unique IP, I am always denied registration and called a spammer.

Does anyone know what is causing this, or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Steve
Can you please give me your forum URL?
Thanks
(2011-11-30, 08:18 PM)BleepyEvans Wrote: [ -> ]Can you please give me your forum URL?
Thanks

http://galacticchannelings.of-the-light.com

You'll notice that the default spam text has been replaced to request users to manually send me their user name... I have no other way to register users, and so I'd rather have that than to tell someone they are a spammer. Smile

Thanks for taking a look.

Steve
Can you disable the error message so I can try and sign up.
Thanks
(2011-11-30, 08:31 PM)BleepyEvans Wrote: [ -> ]Can you disable the error message so I can try and sign up.
Thanks

That's the point of my post--I can't disable it. It automatically appears whenever anyone tries to register, even me as an admin. Yet if I manually create a user in ACP, they can log in just fine. (I say this to prove that it's not an IP filter or ban) It's only the registration process that is currently hosed and rejects everyone by calling them a spammer. (error_spam_deny) So the "error message" you referred to is actually MyBB thinking you are a spammer, as well.

Original Registration Error Message Wrote:Our systems detect that you may be a spammer and therefore you have been denied registration. If you feel this is a mistake, please contact the Administrator.

(Which I temporarily changed in the Languages section of the settings until I get this sorted out.)

Thanks,
Steve
Ah sorry for misunderstanding.
And disabling the HoneyComb fixes this issue?
(2011-11-30, 08:46 PM)BleepyEvans Wrote: [ -> ]Ah sorry for misunderstanding.
And disabling the HoneyComb fixes this issue?

No, there is no way to fix the issue as far as I know. That's where I am calling upon people like you to assist. :-)

The HoneyPot plugin was the last thing I installed to the forum.
1. Registrations were working great, no issues, people registering through e-mail.
2. I installed the honeypot captcha plugin
3. It seems around this time people no longer can register without being called a spammer.
4. I deactivated and uninstalled the honeypot captcha plugin
5. Users still cannot register and are being seen in MyBB as "spammers"

Is there any way to know how that error message gets tripped? What is the criteria for setting it off?

Steve

And your using the latest version of mybb (1.6.5)?
If yes, is the HoneyPot plugin your talking about an independant one, or the one that comes supplied with 1.6.5?
(2011-11-30, 08:55 PM)BleepyEvans Wrote: [ -> ]And your using the latest version of mybb (1.6.5)?
If yes, is the HoneyPot plugin your talking about an independant one, or the one that comes supplied with 1.6.5?

Yes, latest version 1.6.5, and I am not sure which plugin came with 1.6.5. This is the only one that I had installed:

Javascript Bot Protection (1.1)
Plugin, that prohibits bots from registering using a hidden field that filled by Javascript. As long as bots don't parse Javascript, this can be used as a replacement for captchas.
Created by Paul Wiedebusch

Did that one come with 1.6.x? For what it's worth, I deactivated it and uninstalled it after this problem came up, just in case it was that. Sounds like the plugin may not even be part of the problem.

Steve
Ok, 1.6.5 game with a hidden Captcha field. You can access the settings in the User Registration settings.
Can you tell me if the hidden field is activated or not?
Thanks
Pages: 1 2